Prologue

5 years before

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Levanah, happy birthday to you!" My mom and my best friends sang to me. Today was my 10th birthday and instead of having a party, I decided it would be fun to just hang around with some friends instead.

"Come on Lev! Lets play tag!" Maya grinned.

I nodded and smiled, "okay, where's Cameron?"

"I'm here!" He jumped out from behind and tagged me, "tag, you're it!"

We ran up and down the playground until our moms called us back to have a slice of cake. Chocolate was my favorite so Libby (Cameron and Maya's mom) baked me an awesome cake with decorations and everything!

"Alwight, rets keep pwaying," Cameron said through a mouthful of the cake.

"Cam, honey, don't talk with your mouth full," his mom told him off. Without letting it set, we jumped up off the picnic blanket and ran off to play chase again.

"This time there's a home. See that tree near the swings? That's home," Maya told us all. I nodded to show I understood and then sprinted as fast as I could away from Cameron who was tagged.

I turned my head around to face him and stuck my tongue out, "Na Na Na Na Na! You'll never catch me!"

"Of course I wi- Levanah! Look in front of you!" He yelled.

Before I had a chance to turn, my head crashed into the metal pole of the swing set. As I hit the ground, a sharp pain jolted through my head and I felt a warm, red liquid run from my ear onto my new pink dress. My surroundings span and when my eyes began to close, a terrified and sweaty Cameron kneeled above me.

"You'll be alright Levanah. Just hold my hand and you'll be fine," he took my hand and held it tight.

My face turned a pale white and my eyes finally shut.

"L-L-Lev?"