Untitled Part 5

Chapter Text

She awoke sometime later after he had placed her in a soft bed. She had forgotten what it was like to sleep on one for the past few weeks she had slept on an air mattress. It was heavenly to be in an actual bed that almost as soon as he laid her down, she was fast asleep. The toll the day had taken was all catching up to her as the drive back to his house which was directly across the street from hers. She was exhausted now. She tried standing again, but he didn't let her try to walk. She still had his sunglasses on when he laid her down.
He stared at her for a few minutes before he turned out of his room and into the second room he used as a study and workspace while at home. He had set it up since he usually had a smaller house but this time they offered bigger places to everyone to entice them to try this joint effort. He had pretty much accepted his single state, and he knew that most women wouldn't put up with his job or his secrets. He glanced again at the sleeping female in his bed and wondered if she would be any different. He settled into to send a copy of the records to their joint commander with the instructions that she wasn't to be left alone for 72-96 hours and that he had volunteered for that job. He hoped no one would read into that choice, but he continued to work from home for a few hours.
"Mitsuhide?", she called out, and he shot out of the chair into the hallway.
"What Mouse?", he asked standing in the doorway.
"I need you to do something.", she started.
"What?", he asked.
"My cats. They have to be fed.", she said sighing.
"Do you want them here?", he asked.
"Not really.", she said. "All you have to do is pop a can open for each one."
"How many do you have?", he asked.
"Two.", she replied.
"How many times a day?", he asked.
"Once.", she said.
"Okay sounds easy enough.", he said. "Your house locked?"
"Yeah. Keys are in my pocket.", she went to dig for them under the covers.
"I already have them then.", he said. "Took them out before the scan.
"I don't even remember that.", she said.
"It's okay. What do you want to eat?", he asked
"Do I have to eat?", she asked.
"You should, but I won't force you.", he said laughing. "Do you want anything from your place?"
"I should go with you.", she said as she tried to stand up.
"You aren't going anywhere.", he said as he pushed her back into bed quicker.
"I need clothes.", she said.
"Tomorrow you can go, tonight you will have to make do with something of mine.", he said as he sat on the bed.
"I feel like I'm taking advantage of you.", she said.
"you're not.", he said. "Now stay."
"Yes, dad.", she said.
"I'm not your dad.", He said as he brushed his lips on her forehead. He turned and walked out, and she heard the door open and then close. She wondered if the two monsters in her house would behave or attack him. She hoped they would be little angels, at least this first time.
The next few hours were a blur for her as she dozed. She didn't remember him coming back into the house, but she could hear him downstairs as he moved around in what she thought would be the kitchen. The faint smell of carbonized food filled the air, and he popped in again to ask if she wanted anything. The next time he walked in she was trying to sit up. She was struggling with the blankets when he came in, and she could feel his stare.
"What?", she asked.
"What are you doing?", he asked.
"Trying to get up. I need to take a shower.", she said.
"Why?", he asked.
"Habit. I won't be able to sleep if I don't.", She replied. He was going to remind her she had been sleeping off and on for most of the day.
"You can barely stand, Mouse.", he pleaded.
"Mitsuhide.", she said, and he knew he would risk it not to hear her say his name like that again.
"Fine but.", he started. "The door stays open, just in case."
"In case what, I fall?", she asked smiling.
"Exactly.", he said.
"Fine.", She said. She got to her feet and felt him hovering. She opened her eyes something she had struggled with all day but managed to keep them open because of the darkened rooms and his sunglasses which were still on her face. He was at her side the whole ten feet to the bathroom, but it took her a while to get there. "See I can walk."
"At a snail's pace.", he said. "Don't rush it, Mouse."
"I really hate Mouse by the way.", she said as she turned to face him.
"Good. Then get better, and I'll pick a new name.", he replied.
She got in the bathroom to find a pair of pt shorts and a tee shirt waiting for her on the sink. She left the door cracked and listened for the sound of his footsteps from the door, and she began to strip. She looked up and saw her reflection in the mirror. She was horrified and must have made a sound.
"You okay?", he called out.
"Mirror.", she replied.
"Oh.", she heard him say.
She turned on the water and got under the stream and for the first time that day she felt normal again. Even if it was only for a few minutes while the warm water helped ease her muscles and the tension that resided there in them. She was thinking of the bruise she had on her face, the swelling must have gone down, but she would have the mark for a while. She got out and with unsteady legs propped herself against the sink for support as she dried off. She put the sunglasses back on and made her way out the door. She turned back to the bedroom that had a faint light glowing behind the almost shut door.
"You dressed?", she asked.
"Yeah why?", He responded as he opened the door and helped her in. She saw the faint light was coming from the television he had turned on. "I like to relax by watching before bed."
"Oh. Okay.", she said.
"Is that alright?", he asked.
"Your house.", she responded.
"That isn't what I asked. I could go downstairs if it bothers you.", he said.
"No. Mitsuhide it's fine. It is your house and your room. Watch whatever. If I need too, I can close my eyes.", she said.
"Or tell me to leave.", he threw out there.
"Yes, Mitsuhide get out of your bed.", she said with a look.
"You could say that.", he responded.
"I could but I wouldn't. It isn't like you asked to have to take care of me. I do appreciate it though.", she said.
"Shh Mouse.", He said as she climbed on one side of the bed and he climbed on the other. He helped her get settled, and he stayed on the blankets where she was under them.
"Are you cold?", She asked. He had to have the temp set at freezing.
"A little.", he stated but made no motion to move.
"Get under the covers then.", she said.
"Don't want you to get the wrong idea, Mouse.", he stated.
"I'm the one telling you too. That's all I would need is for you to get sick while you are supposed to be watching me.", she replied.
"True.", He said. As he lifted the blankets and sat against the backboard. She closed her eyes in the middle of the first show. She had moved closer to him as she slept until she was laying on her side curled next to him. He went to move to go lay in the other room when she murmured something in her sleep. He was trying to slide away know he could only have so much temptation in one day and not act on it. She cried out, and his heart stopped. He moved closer to her instinctually instead of away. He gathered her in his arm, whispering no one could hurt her. She stopped fighting in her dream, and he felt his own heartbeat go back to normal, but the damage had been done. She was now in a deeper sleep and in his arms. There was no way for him to escape the room. He sat there trying to think of how he could when sleep took over him as well.
The light of day often woke him up as soon as the light rays of grey started to show, but he had hung up the blanket on the window to block the light for her, so he didn't wake up like he usually did. He felt a weight on his chest and a warmth coming from next to him with what seemed to be another tinier weight thrown over his torso. At first, he couldn't place any of it. It had been so long that he had ever woke up with someone that the feelings were foreign to him. He blinked his eyes open and saw that it was well past his normal waking up time. He looked around the room and made sure he was in his own bed. It wasn't until he looked at the crown of her head that the prior day's memory flooded through his head. She had moved closer last night, while she had been dreaming of the attack he had held her. They must have shifted positions throughout the night and ended up like this. He ran his hands through her hair, and she began to stir. She stretched her tiny body and pressed it against his for a split second of heat that flooded through him. She lifted her head and looked into his eyes.
"Oh. Good morning.", she said as she blushed.
"Morning.", He rumbled out. However, she went to pull away from him but instead he pulled her back to his chest. "No need to scurry away. We are here all day. Might as well be comfortable and you seem to think I am a good enough pillow."
"Goddamnit.", she mumbled.
"What Mouse?", he asked wishing he could see her eyes.
"You are a comfortable pillow. I'm sure though this was how I was supposed to sleep through the night.", she said. "I'm sorry Mitsuhide. Please don't think I am to forward."
He felt the wetness and realized she was crying. "I don't, Mouse. Please stop crying."
"I knew I shouldn't have come out here. I knew it. I should have said no.", she said.
"What is this about?", he said as he tipped her face so he could see.
"I knew this would be a great idea, but I shouldn't have come.", she said.
"So you asked to be attacked?", he asked.
"No.," she said.
"Okay, then none of this is on you, Kit.", he said. "Sorry but I am glad you came out here."
"So you could be forced to take care of someone you don't know?", she asked.
"No one forced me to do anything. Lay back down Kit, Go back to sleep. I will be right here when you wake up.", He said soothingly as she felt the gentle pressure of his chin nuzzling into her hair. His hand on the side of her head. She wondered what was wrong with her to break down in tears. She closed her eyes and fell asleep listening to the sound of his heartbeat, and as she drifted off, she felt safe for the first time in a very long time.