Chapter Thirty-Three

"It's nice to see you, Marva, you're looking well," Dante's voice was strained, he was no doubt in a fair amount of pain from his shoulder. Fionn couldn't think straight, his thoughts jumbling together until one stood out from the rest, shining a light into his confusion.

"The fucking painter?" Fionn scoffed bitterly, returning his attention to his grimacing husband, "of course, I should have known it was you. Why the fuck wouldn't you tell me that? Why am I always the one that's lied to, or that never gets the full story? Were you ever gonna tell me?"

"Of course, Fi-"

"How much more have you lied to me about?" Fionn whirled around when he felt a hand on his arm, his glare softening ever so slightly as it landed on his mother.

"Could you make me a tea, sweetheart? I'll tend to Dante and then we'll explain everything," Marva's tone was very gentle, she was obviously trying not to provoke Fionn anymore. Fionn sighed, raking his fingers through his hair.

"Yeah," he mumbled, picking up a rag and pressing it to his neck as he filled up the kettle, "you can fucking dehydrate for all I care," he growled at Alpheus when he looked as though he was going to speak.

"May I?" Marva took hold of the knife when Dante nodded, wrenching it from his shoulder. The vampire merely grunted but Fionn heard the string of curses in his mind.

"Thank you," Dante winced when Fionn pressed the rag a little too hard onto the open wound, "I'm sorry, Fionn, I should have-"

"Forget it, just fucking forget it," Fionn snapped, collecting Marva's herbal tea from the cupboard. He knew he shouldn't feel so angry, Dante didn't have to tell him about his past and he had never really asked.

"You haven't aged a day," Fionn saw Marva out of the corner of his eye, studying Dante's face, "you look almost exactly the same, except for this," Fionn clenched his fists as Marva ran her fingers down Dante's scar. He hated himself everytime someone brought it up. There was a sudden shattering noise and a whine of pain from the alpha.

"Fuck!" Fionn took a deep breath, squeezing his eyes closed as pain flowed into his hand. Blood mixed with pieces of ceramic and even a few tears whilst Fionn tried to calm himself down.

"Stay the hell away from my son!" Alpheus barked, blocking Dante's path to Fionn.

"Alpheus, so far I have remained very calm with you but my patience is running dry. Fionn is in pain, let me help him."

"Alpheus, you need to stop this behaviour, it's gone too far," Marva added, "Dante isn't going to hurt Fionn, he wants to help, let him," there were a few seconds of silence then Fionn felt Dante's cool hand on his back.

"Let me see, puppy," Dante's voice was quiet, soothing even, calming Fionn to his core. The wolf whimpered softly as he very slowly unfurled his fingers, afraid to open his eyes and see the state of his hand.

"They're not that deep, puppy, stay still for me whilst I take them out," Fionn grimaced as the shards of ceramic were tugged free from his skin, "I'm sorry, puppy, you're doing great."

"I'm sorry for snapping at you," Fionn whispered, opening his eyes, keeping his gaze on Dante rather than his hand.

"I deserved it, I shouldn't have kept things from you," Fionn frowned a little as Dante ran his thumb over the tip of his fang, collecting a drop of clear liquid and rubbing it very gingerly over the cuts on Fionn's palm, "it should be healed in about an hour, no scarring."

"Thank you," Fionn wrapped a clean rag around his hand, pressing a chaste kiss to Dante's lips, "I love you."

"I love you too, puppy."