Chapter 17

It was a week before Danielle's homecoming and two weeks before Carrie was supposed to fly to New York to promote the new single that Carrie was going to release a month before the album. She was feeling absolutely terrible and Mike was away at games. She had been throwing up for about four days straight to the point where she swear she was going to pass out. Danielle rode with Chloe and Paige on the bus while Ivey picked them up and made them dinner. It was around lunch that Ivey let herself into the house and up the stairs to check on her best friend.

She opened the bedroom door to reveal a Carrie that was fast asleep. Ivey made her way over to the side of the bed and shook Carrie's shoulder. "Care, wake up," she said.

Carrie moaned as she rolled over to face Ivey. Realizing it was Ivey, she became more awake. "What are you doing here?" Carrie asked.

"Mike called and said he set you up a doctor's appointment which is in an hour. You should probably get ready," she said.

"I don't want to go," Carrie complained.

"So you'd rather puke your guts out for the next decade?" Ivey asked jokingly.

"I'm serious, Ive," Carrie said. "It's obvious something is wrong and I honestly don't want to know what that is."

"Care, you're gonna have to face it sometime and the sooner the better. Anyways, doctors are there to help you," Ivey explained. Carrie slowly nodded accepting the response. "How 'bout you get ready and come downstairs. I bought you soup from Panera before you go."

"Thank you, Ivey," Carrie said.

She met Ivey downstairs after she was ready. Both of them ate their Panera bread soups before they headed out in their separate directions. Ivey was headed back to the cupcake shop while Carrie was headed to the doctor's office where her name was called within the ten minutes she arrived. She followed the doctor into one of the rooms where she sat on one of the beds while the doctor checked her out.

The doctor asked Carrie a few questions about the symptoms she had been experiencing recently which Carrie answered honestly. The doctor jotted notes down before they had her go through a whole body scan. She had to wait about twenty minutes for the doctor to get her results. Once the doctor knew, he walked back into the room Carrie was in and told her, "Well, it seems as though you are pregnant."

"What?" Carrie asked in disbelief. "That's not possible. You told me over a year ago that I couldn't have kids."

"Well, God works miracles in many ways, Mrs. Fisher," the doctor replied. "You're three months in actually. Do you want to know the gender now?"

"Uh, yea I-I guess," I stuttered trying to process everything that was going on.

"Well, it's a girl. Congratulations," the doctor said cleaning up the room as she prepared to leave. "You need to make an appointment for next month at the front."

I nodded to her still in shock of everything. I didn't know how on earth this could have been happening. Things like this don't happen to me. Mike and I always wanted to have kids of our own but ever since Danielle, Chloe, and Paige came, I've been happy with the life that I have. So many emotions were built up in me and I had no control over them.

After making my next appointment I got in the car and headed home while I immediately called Mike. There was no time to wait to tell him. I was already three months in. The phone rang twice before he picked up. "Hey, babe," he answered.

"Hey, when are you going to be home? There's something I have to tell you asap," I said.

"I'm driving home from the airport right now," he answered. "Why, is something wrong?"

"No," I shook my head. "I just really have something to tell you when you get home."

It was a short drive home and as soon as I entered the door, I was bombarded with kids that seemed to have just gotten home from school.

"Mom, I need dance clothes," Chloe said.

"I'm hungry," Paige complained.

"I need major help with homework here!" Danielle yelled over from the kitchen table.

I was a bit overwhelmed with them at first before I took a deep breath, "Chloe, laundry room. I'll get Paige a snack and I'll help you with homework in a minute."

I went over to the fridge to see the variety of food that was in it. "Paige, I can get you a bowl of fruit, some pita and hummus, a granola bar..."

"Bowl of fruit," she said.

I made Paige a bowl of fruit where she ate it in the living room while I went over to Danielle and started helping her with Algebra homework which I was not a fan of myself. A couple of minutes into helping her, Mike came in through the back door carrying his monster suitcase in. "Daddy!" Paige exclaimed.

Mike walked over to the living room to give Paige a hug as Paige was unable to run over to him with her boot. "Hey, sweetie! How are all my girls?" he asked with that bright smile of his.

"Fabulous," Paige said with attitude as she flipped her hair making Mike laugh.

His eyes made his way towards me as he nodded his head towards upstairs. I knew what he meant by that. It was time to talk.