Chapter 7

Ladybug swooped in from the sky, landing behind a tree. Surrounded by her minions, Serpentina was standing between a circle of trees with her eyes closed. It looked as if she was meditating.

The superheroine narrowed her eyes, scanning the crowd for Adrien. She didn't see him among the minions. That was a bit of a relief since she knew he wouldn't get caught in the crossfire.

Ladybug just needed to find the akumatized item and all of this would be over, she hoped. She never really dealt with an akuma that had broke free from Hawkmoth.

It was perfect. Ladybug could sneak up on Serpentina and subdue her, and then find her akumatized iten and this would all be over. But with Serpentina's eyes closed, it seemed too perfect to sneak up on her. Like she knew Ladybug was there and was bait--

Instantly, Serpentina's eyes snapped open, glowing ominously, and she pointed her finger at Ladybug from behind the tree.

"Gotcha!" she grinned.

Ladybug sprang into action, jumping out of the way just before a servant wrapped their arms around her from behind.

"Foolish pest," Serpentina cackled. "I think you're forgetting I have the same abilities of a snake."

Ladybug landed beside Serpentina, reaching for her yoyo. "Oh really? Then how about you show me how fast you slither, snakey!"

The superheroine launched her yoyo towards the spyre on a building and soared from the akuma. She landed on the grass in front of Chloe Bourgeousie's hotel, far from Serpentina's servants. Come on, follow me! Ladybug thought desperately.

And just as expected, a few minutes later, Serpentina slithered to Ladybug's location, grinning. "That was a mistake. Stupid bug. Snakes are keen hunters."

"Oh really? Because you aren't as smart as one." She threw her yoyo at Serpentina, the string wrapping tightly around the akuma. Ladybug yanked the yoyo towards herself, effectively forcing Serpentina on the ground.

"You were so caught up in showing off you left your servants, your only protection," Ladybug whispered with a smirk, pressing her knee on her back to keep her down. "Now, where is Adrien?"

"There's no point in making demands," Serpentina replied smoothly, despite the immense amount of pressure on her back. "He's already mine."

"I don't care. I want to make sure he's okay," Ladybug pushed.

"Fine, if you let me go I'll show you."

Ladybug laughed. "Yeah right. As if I would ever do that." She pulled on the string tighter. "Now talk."

This time, Serpentina shifted uncomfortably, making a grunt noise. "Okay, okay," she breathed. "I'll tell you. But at least loosen this string a tiny bit."

Ladybug obeyed and loosened her grip on the string, listening intently. "Where is he?"

"MY PRINCE!" Serpentina screamed, her shrewd voice echoing throughout the air.

Birds flew from trees that shook. Ladybug felt an ominous wind pass through the air and shivered. Wary, she lifted her head and looked around for him. She didn't like how the air around her grew cold and desolate...

Adrien emerged, walking slowly towards the two. His eyes were a glowing pink, just like the servant Ladybug had seen earlier...

She stood strong, trying not to break down at the sight of a possessed Adrien. But it was hard.

He walked calmly over towards Serpentina and stood beside her, waiting for demands.

"My prince," Serpentina whispered, leaning down to kiss his cheek. "Show the bug how much you love me."