5

"So what were you thinking continent wise?" I asked pulling up a map as we sat in dad's living room. It was a place the heretics didn't know about as much so we were safe here.

"I don't know. Far away." She replied standing by the bookshelf.

"Okay well it's probably easiest to stay in the United States since it'd be the easiest way to switch identities but you'd probably want to go on the other side of the country." I clicked the computer. "How about Nevada? Lots of people means lots of food plus it's a never ending party." I suggested.

"Yeah of poverty and disease." She replied.

"Okay." I sighed lightly. "Well you could leave to England or something since you already have the accent." I shrugged.

"So 4,000 miles away from your boyfriend?" She asked with a mischievous smirk.

"Yes and 4,000 miles away from Julian. I could just not help you." I sassed.

"How about names?" She asked sitting down.

"Umm, Beatrice James?" I asked curiously. "Originally from London. Maybe you should write this down."

"You act as if I can't defend myself at all. Once Stefan kills Julian he won't be able to hurt anyone else and I can put this whole mess behind me." She sighed.

"What mess?" I asked curiously.

"Stefan didn't tell you? It's the whole reason I'm afraid of Julian." I looked at her confused. "I didn't realize he didn't tell you. What a surprise." She smiled lightly almost as if she was happy he didn't. "I did ask him to keep it a secret. I thought he'd still tell you. His loyalty is attractive isn't it?" She asked still smiling.

"What didn't he tell me?" I asked ignoring her last question.

"Never mind. You were thinking Beatrice James from London. Sounds good, very modern." She nodded writing it.

I looked at her upset. Some time went by and I convinced Caroline to help me. She was much better with planning and I didn't want to deal with Valerie for the rest of the day on my own. Caroline agreed and she helped us figure everything out which was great.

At one point my dad came home saying something was wrong with Jo. The three of us headed over to check on her and see what was going on.

"We were in Scull Bar and she started coughing up blood. Her nose was bleeding too." Dad explained as I nodded.

"Maybe I can heal her." Caroline suggested as she bit her wrist. "Drink this it'll heal you." Jo looked at it suspicious.

"She's telling the truth." I reassured.

Dad nodded as she tried to drink it but ended up vomiting. "What's wrong with her?" Dad asked as we both looked at each other clueless as to what was going on.

"Seems a vampire soul inside a human body does not make a perfect match." Valerie spoke up as we looked to her.

"What does that mean?" Jo asked, seemingly dying.

"The Phoenix Stone traps vampire souls. Oscar had a vampire body, got some other vampire's soul, and he lost the plot. Jo was a human. Clearly, a basic human body is unable to contain the essence of a vampire soul. You add that together, carry the one, you're a decomposing mess." Valerie explained. Caroline quickly pulled her away as I went over to dad.

"Ignore her she's plucky." I spoke rubbing his back as I listened to Caroline yell at Valerie. She apologized after Caroline explained that Jo had been pregnant. "I'll go get you some water." I nodded looking at Jo.