Chapter Six

"This soup is wonderful." I smiled at Jasper but I couldn't help but feel as if I've tasted this recipe before. I brushed the thought aside, I'm sure all vegetable soup tastes the same.

"It's your recipe." he muttered back.

"No it's not. Why would you think that?"

"I found it in your kitchen." Jasper looked at me like I had lost my mind while my blood ran cold. My spoon clattered onto the table loudly in the silence. Drawing my shoulders straight and doing my best to keep a blank face I stood from the table.

"You had no right to be going through my things. The recipe was my mother's." Even I could tell my voice sounded cold, void of emotion. I didn't look at either of them as I made my way to my bedroom.

I shut my door softly behind me and looked around at the dark room until my eyes rested on my red and black comforter on my queen-sized bed. I sat down and let the warm tears drop onto my jeans.

I'm not sure how much time had passed before I heard my door click shut again and footsteps make their way in front of me. A rough, warm hand grasped my chin tilting my head back so that I looked into a pair of familiar eyes as they studied my face.

Damon sat next to me and pulled me into his arms filling me with warmth.

"She wouldn't want you crying like this, you know how much you snot when you cry. It's really not attractive." I laughed at the old line my mom used when I cried when I was younger.

"Oh hush." I smiled as I snuggled deeper into his embrace.

Since I met him when I was nine Damon has been wiping my tears away and making me smile.

One day I was walking through the Vixen Forrest and the sun was dropping fast behind the horizon. The lower the sun sank the faster and larger the shadows grew as they stretched out towards me. Panic was beginning to seize me when I heard something approaching from the trees to my left. I turned to see a tall dark shadow closing in on me. I closed my eyes to it and tears began spilling down my face.

"Are you okay?" A boy's voice asked me. I opened my eyes to see a boy a few years older than me. He had curly black hair that fell in a mess across his face and bright blue eyes.

"I- I'm lost." I frowned.

"I can see that." he smiled at me. It was as if something divine sent him into my life that day.

Over the years Damon taught me everything I know about fighting, hunting, and surviving the Vixen Forrest. He filled my childhood with laughs and comfort. Day by day we aged until one day I stopped seeing him as a friend and a brother and my curiosity began to grow.

Damon was chasing me through the woods on a day like every other when I was fifteen and he was nineteen. I laughed as he tried to keep up and continued to dance through the trees evading him. Suddenly Damon snatched me up and started spinning as I squealed out in protest.

"Put me DOWN!" Damon's laughter filled my world as it continued to spin.

"What's the magic word, princess?" His arm held the back of my knees tighter as he spun faster.

"Please?" I called out unsteadily.

"Hmmm, I don't know..."

"Damon!"

We stopped spinning and he put me on my feet but after all the spinning I was light headed and my legs gave out. Luckily Damon's strong arms caught me before I could fall and ours eyes locked. All the curiosity from the past year filled in the air between us. My lips found his and his arms wound around my waist.

"What are you thinking about?" Damon's voice interrupted my flashback.

"Our first kiss." I said sheepishly.

"Oh really?" he smirked darkly.

"Yeah, I can't seem to remember much of it. Must have been pretty boring." I said trying to distract him from the fact that it most definitely was not boring.

"I don't think you're remembering that right."

"I think I am."

"Apparently I need to refresh your memory, princess." I opened my mouth to protest but Damon rolled over so that I was on my back and he hovered over me smiling. He dipped his head to kiss me but I jerked my head to the side and he kissed the comforter instead. I let out a laugh at his expense.

Damon growled and brought his lips down to mine and kissed me roughly seizing my laughter and igniting a flame the traveled down my spine. I bit down on his bottom lip and he pressed his mouth on mine harder as he grabbed the back of my neck locking me to him.

"Snow, I need to speak to you." Jasper's voice called out from the other side of the wooden door.

My eyes flew open and Damon pulled back and looked at me with a question in his eyes asking if we should ignore him.

"Snow?" I sighed and pushed Damon off of me. I opened the door to see Jasper looking at me with a look of concern.

"What do you want, Jasper?"

"Can we take a walk? I need to talk to you."

"Uhm..." I glanced at Damon who was leaning against my dresser, "Sure, just give me a second."

We walked out the back door through the kitchen and into the garden behind my house. It was overrun with ivy and rosebushes my mother used to tend to. I made my way over the old marble fountain and sat down looking at Jasper expectantly.

He sat down beside me hesitantly. "Snow, I wanted to apologize. We got off to a bad start."

"Really? What gave that idea?" I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms across my chest. I scanned my eyes across the graveyard of a garden that was my backyard.

"I wouldn't have made that soup if I had known."

My throat started to swell up again but I pushed the pain back. "You didn't know." I looked down at the algae in the abandoned fountain.

"Thanks for everything you did today." I smiled at Jasper hoping to let him know he was forgiven.

"No problem, but I have a question. You might get a little mad but I was exploring the house and I found this room..."

I snapped my head up and I looked him in the eyes. "Why were you in there?" I hissed.

"I didn't actually go in there!" he protested.

"That's because you can't." I snapped. I stood up quickly and walked away from the garden and towards the house.