Chapter Twenty-Six

Usually I would’ve been horribly uncomfortable dancing with a random stranger in a bar for the supernatural, but the alcohol took all of the away. Instead I found myself letting go of all of my doubts and worries I had when leaving the safety of my barstool.

We moved together like water and oil mixing. Flowing and coexisting but never combining. My senses felt softened and blurred. The lights fell gently on us as we dipped and swayed to the gritty jazz of the band. Every time he pressed against me I caught the faint scent of cinnamon that clung to his skin. I caught myself closing my eyes as we moved and felt a smile on my face. I didn’t really look directly into Jack’s eyes much during the dance but when I did he was smirking devilishly with that handsome face of his.

Suddenly the song changed and the tempo picked up significantly. Our steps were quicker and we spun around the floor somehow never colliding with the other pairs. The intensity of our dancing made me more aware of how strong his hold on me was becoming. I felt the strength of his hands as they pressed into my waist and the feel of his breath every time he pulled me in. It was beginning to be too much. Aiden’s green eyes filled my mind.

The song changed again but this time I pulled away. When I stopped moving my mind caught up with my body and started spinning wildly. I groaned and threw Jack an apologetic look.

“I have to go, I’ll see you around.” I explained before turning towards the bar.

“How much do I owe you, Marcus?” I asked when I finally made my way back. He glanced up at me as he was mixing another drink but didn’t return my smile.

“I don’t charge the fae.” He grumbled before turning away and giving me his back.

Cold shock ran through me but I shook my head. Marcus was probably just messing with me because of my question. That’s all it was.

My mind was a mess and my stomach was churning. When I finally stepped outside the cool air helped clear my spinning head. I drew in a shaky breath and pulled my coat on.

“Need a ride home?” a gruff voice asked causing me to look around before finding the owner of it.

My eyes rested on a short, burly man who was leaning against a black taxi that had a checkered stripe across its side.

“Yes, that would be awesome.” I tried to say but I could hear the slight slur in my voice and cringed.

Without saying another word the taxi driver walked around to the driver’s side and got in. Doing my best to walk steadily I climbed into the back of the cab.

I gave the driver my address and then leaned my head back closing my eyes. Before I knew it we stopped in front of my cottage. From here it looked like something out of a fairytale with its grey stone walls and tall, elegant windows that gave a faint glow.

Funny, I didn’t remember leaving any lights on but my still cloudy mind pushed the thought away.

“How much do I owe you?” I asked sweetly hoping to cover my slurring voice.

“I don’t charge the fae.” He said without looking at me.

“Is this supposed to be a joke?” I growled as I pushed the door open angrily. Before shutting the door I tossed the money on to the seat and slammed it shut.

Doing my best now to stumble I made my way up to the path outside of my house. The moment I stepped inside my entire body instantly warmed. The fire must still be burning from before I left. I didn’t think about it too much before I shed my jacket and made my way to my room.

I slipped my shoes off and tossed them onto the floor with my coat. I figured some water and food would probably help and walked to the kitchen.

But the moment I stepped inside the living room my eyes found his.

“What are you doing here?” I growled.

“What the hell are you wearing?” Aiden asked in a shocked voice. Ignoring his question I stormed over to him and snatched one of the couch pillows up so I could beat him with it.

Before I could even hit him he snatched the pillow away and tossed it. Because of how off balance the alcohol was making me I collapsed forward onto Aiden’s lap. Luckily he caught me before I completely fell on him but I still ended up laying on the couch with my legs draped across his lap.

“Are you drunk?” Aiden asked and I could hear the anger boiling in him.

I narrowed my eyes at him, “Shut up, I hate you.” I replied childishly.

“You are so stupid, Snow,” he spat out with frustration, “what are you doing going to a bar by yourself looking like that?” Aiden’s eyes skimmed over my bare legs and tiny red dress that was hiking up my thighs even now. My cheeks flushed.

I got up and stormed to my room to change. I slipped my dress off and pulled on a pair of shorts and a tank top no longer caring if Aiden saw me.

My stomach twisted uneasily and I gingerly pressed my hand against it frowning.

“You need to drink some water.” I turned around to see Aiden leaning against the threshold with his arms crossed.

“And you need to get out of my house ad stay the hell away from me.” I narrowed my eyes at him and pushed my way past him.

Regardless of how mad I was at Aiden I knew I still needed to follow his advice and drink some water. I was pouring some into a glass when I suddenly felt Aiden behind me. His hands brushed up my arms sending jolts or electricity through my skin. He leaned down till his lips hovered by my ear and my entire body tensed up.

“Why are you mad at me for telling you the truth?” His deep, smooth voice asked and I gripped onto the countertop. Anger flooded through my blood and I turned on him looking him directly in the eyes. My head was slowly clearing with my growing anger.

“Because it isn’t the truth!” I cried out angrily.

“And even if it is, I didn’t ask for it!”

“You didn’t ask for it?” he asked incredulously. “Do you think I asked to watch over an emotional little girl like you?”

Aiden’s emerald eyes glared at me causing my blood to burn hotter.

Little girl? How old are you?”

“Regardless of my age, you’ll always be little to me.” Aiden sneered down at me.

“That’s because of how big of an ass you are.” I growled walking past him.

Aiden’s strong hand grasped my wrist and turned me to face him. He placed the other hand on the side of my face. His eyes were apologetic, or at least as apologetic as he can look.

“Look I don’t to fight you on this, but you need to accept it so you can protect yourself.”

A large part of me wanted to give in and stop fighting him but I just couldn’t face being something I knew nothing about. I shook my head and walked quickly to my room shutting the door behind me. I burrowed into my blankets and ignored the knocking on my bedroom door until eventually Aiden gave up and went away allowing me to fall into a miserable sleep.