Chapter One

I found myself back in the same false sense of comfort as I stepped back onto my porch after thirty minutes of relentless running through the cold. Damn creature, I thought silently to myself. I glanced  around one last time seeing nothing but woods and snow and turned back into my cottage.

I quickly shut and locked the heavy door relieved that I was finally inside the warmth of my home. The fire still flickered in the center of the back wall of the den, scattering shadows on everything. Nothing seemed out of place but I could still feel the lingering sense of wariness hanging in my stomach. Quietly, I made my way into my bedroom and stripped off the torn cotton nightgown I had been wearing. The thorns and branches had torn at it as I ran leaving it a tattered mess that hung scarcely over my thighs now.

How wonderful, I thought sarcastically before kicking it across the room in frustration. Swiftly, I pulled an identical gown out of my cherry wood dresser and yanked it on over my head. One look at my bed and images of my scurry out of it filled my head. I sighed as I made my way over to my bathroom across the hall. I didn't even dare look up at the silver mirror over the sink as I scrubbed the dirt and blood off of as much of my body as I could.

I crept back into my den and gave it another wary look before deciding nothing was truly out of place. The fireplace was the only source of light in the room but it's enough to illuminate it and fill the corners with deep shadows.

"Sleep is hopeless now." I sighed to myself.

"And why would that be?" A deep, amused voice said behind me just as I had turned towards the kitchen. My spine straightened, every muscle in my body clenched. I turn to face the intruder and had to suppress a gasp. He was a few inches taller than me but he was lean and had icy grey eyes that barely shined through his pale blonde hair.

"Who the hell are you?" I growled out at the stranger who was standing between me and my chance at peace and quiet.

The small smirk on his face was surely meant to be intimidating but I couldn't get past the fact that it was more welcoming than malicious.  This strange man had the smile of an absolute sweetheart. But that did not change the fact that he was standing in the middle of my living room and I had no idea who he was.

Another thought came to me, Is this what has been scratching at my door? Surely not...

"You!" I hissed as I clenched my hands  fighting for control so that I didn't close the few feet between us and deck him.

"Oooh, someone's a little pissy this evening. What's the matter, love?" he purred.

"You chased me through the damn forest and now you're stalking around my house!" I took a deep breath to regain control then said with venom on my tongue, "I suggest you leave."

The man just stood there stunned at my brash remark. "I never once chased you anywhere, I'm here under orders of the Queen."

"I want you to get the hell out of my house." The stranger's eyes darkened and he slowly crept towards me. If he was expecting me to cower, he was sadly mistaken. I stood there staring up into his icy gaze.

When he stopped a foot away from where I stood in the threshold I spoke again. "Actually, you want to know what I really  want to know?"

He leaned in close to me, "What's that?"

"How do you expect me to believe a man who broke into my house when he says that he isn't the one who's been tormenting me?"

"Well, dearest Snow, my name is Jasper and I am here to help you with that problem." The blonde haired angel in front of me smiled slyly as if he had just won a small victory. I hated him already.

"What are you talking about?" I knitted my eyebrows together in confusion.

"Queen's orders." And oh did Jasper look smug now. 

"Oh really? By what terms exactly?"

"Her Majesty is concerned that such a young miss such as yourself is living alone in the woods. You're hardly seventeen, are you not?" Jasper pulled a thick enveloped letter from his jacket, "Here is the letter of validation."

I took the envelope and noted the wax seal of the Royal insignia. The letter read:

Dear Snow White,

I wish to express much concern at the fact that due to the recent loss of your mother you live alone in the Vixen Forrest at the slight age of seventeen. The tragedy of her death is still great and under given circumstances you probably shouldn't living on your own. Jasper Cross is being sent for your protection till your eighteenth birthday. Whichever comes first. Feel free to do with him as you wish; he's at your disposal. As always, you can always come see me at court if you have any issues or distress.

Her Royal Highness

Queen Adelyss Vixen

The sadness of my mother's death threatened to crush me under its weight but instead I quirked my lips up into a smirk as I lifted my eyes to meet Jasper's. "You're apparently at my disposal according to Her Majesty." Jasper's face shifted into a dark glare as I continued to smile.

He closed nearly all of the distance left between us until his face was inches from mine. "You know, I kind of preferred when you only talked to yourself. And I definitely liked the other night gown better."

I felt my face inflame with color but ducked into dark kitchen so that he couldn't see. I wouldn't let him have the satisfaction.

"Would like some tea, Mr. Cross?" I turned around and switched on the light. After a moment of hesitation, Jasper followed close behind me.

"Tea?" Jasper sounded taken aback. 

"I haven't slept and all I want is some damn peace and quiet but seeing as I'm not going to be able to get rid of you for now I'm settling for tea."

The steam rose from the pot and caressed my face causing my cheeks to flush. The sweet smell of mint filled the small room. I glanced up from pouring the warm liquid into glasses to find Jasper staring at me with a strange look.

We made our way to the den and sank into the cream suede couch. I wrapped my hands around the heated china and tucked my feet under me. Jasper was quiet for the first time since we met so I let my mind drift and soon found myself staring at the painting across from me again.

It claimed the attention of the entire room with its beauty and size. It was a portrait of my mother painted by a local herb shop owner who dabbled into the world of art in her spare time. My mother was about eighteen in the painting from the looks of her creamy complexion and flawless features. She's sitting on a wooden swing wearing a cream colored lace dress that flowed as if it were a part of the wind itself. Black curls spiraled freely over her shoulders and lifted gently in the air. The painter caught only her profile but even that revealed her dark brown, almond shaped eyes and deep pink lips. The fields stretched in front of her were lush with shades of green, dotted with purple and white irises. The sky above my mother is streaked with shades of navy, violet, and rose. It held a swollen moon and luminous stars that scattered across the canvas.

All together, the painting had a divine way of stealing hours from my life. Just as it did in that moment.