7 -- Three For A Triangle, Four for a Square

Start from the beginning

Donny looked over at the passenger seat, “She wanted a lift. It’s not as fun going to an away game with hardly any fans. Plus, you can’t say no to a face like that.” He gave her wink which made Connor sneer when his teammate wasn’t looking.

Sophia stuck her tongue at Connor. Getting out of the car, Sophia started walking toward the field. Connor slung heavy arm over her shoulders, “Why are you here,” he said dauntingly between false smiles.

She returned the forced gesture, “I told you I had no other plans.” They were with in hearing distance of the other players, “I just wanted to see my best friend play,” she exclaimed.

“Oh we’re best friends now, are we?” he brought his lips close to her ear as he whispered, then moved away, “Aren’t you just the sweetest,” he said louder, then proceeded to pinch her cheek to a flushed pink.

“Ouch,” she swatted his hands away and had her eyes fixed on the freshly cut green grass.  “Why didn’t you want me coming anyways?” A couple of guys that recognized her shouted and she waved back

“One, these guys are obviously hitting on you.”

“What makes you think I don’t want them to,” Sophia interrupted. “The most I’ve seen them do is wave and say ‘Hi’,” Sophia thought.

Ignoring her comment he continued, “Two, the guys will get distracted during the game if you’re here... If they're hitting on you, then their focus is not on the game,” he elaborated. Sophia looked up at him wide eyed as they walked toward his bag sitting on the bleacher, “Three, if they’re distracted, we’ll lose.”

Pressing her lips into a thin line to try and hide her smile, she furrowed her brows, and shook her head in disbelief. For guys to be interested in her was a completely foreign concept to her. “Highly doubt it,” Sophia said coolly.

A few guys came over to talk to Connor. With his arm still draped over her shoulder, his fingers hung freely and she thoughtlessly held it and played with his digits. Over and over she brushed her fingers against the pads of his fingers and lined up the her small soft hands with his larger rougher hands. For Connor, tingles ran from that hand, down his arm, and along his spine he felt chills.

“Sophia,” with his arm, he pulled her body in closer into a hug so that her chest was pressed against his. His arm wrapped around her shoulders, he looked down at her, “What are you doing? That tickles,” he stated. Her arms were pressed between him and her, and for those few seconds, he had her full attention. She was his captive.

“Sorry,” she gave him an apologetic look.  He let her loose of his hug, again his arm rested over her shoulders. Sophia attempted to get out of arm's reach, litterally, but sure enough, he pulled her back in.

“Stay close, I’ll give you a ride back later.”

“Donny can take me,” she offered.

“Trust me, you don’t want that.” Sophia raised her eyebrows as if to ask why not. “Donald’s a perv. Trust.” Sophia eyed Donny in the distance chatting up a couple of girls; he played with the hair that framed their faces.

“Who names their kid Donald anyways,” she joked.

“Who knows…” Connor laughed.

“Get in the team room!” one of the assistant coaches shouted in the distance.

Connor and Sophia turned to face each other. “Sit nearest the field where I can see you, but don’t draw attention to yourself,” Connor ordered.

She rolled her eyes, “Fine.” A white cloud of air escaped from Sophia’s lips.

“Wear this,” Connor shrugged off his jacket. Feeling the hairs on her neck stand on end, she complied.