5 -- Define Happiness

Sorry this has come out late. I've been super busy and I was sick as well.

Nothing too exciting in this chapter, just a little bit of back story...

There are typos here and there because I haven't fully reread this chapter... I just wanted to get it up for you guys as soon as possible!

Once again, comment/vote/fan and all that jazz. Let me know what you guys think. I also want to thank all the people that are reading this story! It means a lot to me. If it weren't for you guys, I don't think I would of wrote much past chapter one. So, thanks! I hope you guys enjoy this chapter, I would love to hear feed back!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The English teacher paced across the front of the room. Several eyes were fixed on her – or rather her snug auburn dress suit skirt and slightly unbuttoned blouse.

 A few kids around the room were dozing off and daydreaming. The young teacher knocked a piece of white chalk against the black board three times, glanced over her shoulder, then proceeded to write “Happiness,” in overly loopy cursive,

A folded scrap of paper was tossed on Connor’s desk. He opened it up. Inside was familiar handwriting:

Is Sophia seeing anyone?

Annoyed, Connor tilted his head back to look at his buddy, Rick. Lips pressed together and curled down on one side, eyebrows furrowed, Connor opened his mouth but hesitated, “no,” he mouthed and shook his head.

 “What is happiness?”  A voice echoed in the silent room. “Is happiness money? Popularity?”

Rick passed down another scrap of paper onto Connor’s desk. Before he could read it, the older woman who had been speaking swiped it. “What is happiness to you Mr. Von Welt?” He shrugged.

“You can’t put a price tag on the feeling, but you can put a price on things that make you happy.”

Rick flipped another note onto Connor’s desk as the teacher had her back turned to them. Just as his arm was pulled back, she snatched the second note from the desk.

Clearing her throat dramatically, she began, “Do you think she’d go out with me?” The woman looked between the two boys. “I’m sure she’d me more than willing to go out with you,” her eyes rested on Rick. Flushed, Rick looked at her boredly, trying to play it off as though he didn’t know what she was talking about. “But keep the socializing for after my class.”

“So dinner at seven? I’ll pick you up,” Connor joked.

She chuckled, “So happiness. What is it?” Her eyes lingered around the room. “Love?”  Sophia shifted in her seat trying not to catch the woman’s eye.  “Sophia,” it was too late.

“Damn it,” she thought. 

“What is happiness to you?” She could feel her peers’ eyes on her.

Sophia’s eyes glanced down at her desk.  For a few brief seconds, the swirls of the wood, and the prominent scratches on the surface had absorbed her attention. Uncomfortably uncrossing then crossing her legs, Sophia glanced back up again.

Her jaw was tight. Forcing herself to relax, she answered, “Happiness is an illusion.” There was a pause, “It is a matter of perception.” Unintentionally, she felt her hands clench into tight fists in her lap and the rest of her body slightly tense up.

Thoughtfully the English teacher nodded, “Care to elaborate?”

“No,” Sophia thought bitterly. “What makes one person happy does not necessarily make someone else happy.”