7 -- Three For A Triangle, Four for a Square

“No, slap your hand like this,” Sophia guided Connor’s hands.

Connor laughed, “This handshake is stupid!” They tried to do it again. He counted out the movements, half way through their hands failed to connect.

“You’re just bad at this,” Sophia said matter-of-factly.

“Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,” Connor waved away her words. “Let’s just get this assignment done,” he motioned toward their math books.

Sophia rolled her eyes. She found it hard to believe he could possibly understand a single school subject than her much less calculus. They ran through a few equations and Connor checked over Sophia’s work. She watched as he wove his eyebrows in an out as his eyes scanned the paper. He leaned in closer to her, “no, here you forgot to change the exponent and do the log of this part here.” She nodded as she took the paper and began to erase a section of numbers and redid the equations. Handing the paper back to Connor, Sophia sat in the swivel chair with her head thrown back, her neck elongated, and her arms were spread like wings. “Ughhhhhhhhhh,” she gargled in her throat.

“You’re done.”

“I’m done?” Sophia sat up excitedly.

“Yeah, now get out. I have a game in a few hours. I have to be there early.”

“Who are you guys playing?” Sophia looked over Connor’s shoulder as he put his jersey into his duffle bag.

“Uhh. Wake-fake?”

“Wakefield,” Sophia corrected.

“You know better than me,” Connor reached for a pair of socks.

“The South Lake Academy vs. Wakefield Preparatory School,” Sophia exclaimed, several octaves lower than her normal voice, imitating a sports announcer.  Retuning to her normal voice, Sophia asked if she could come and trailed behind him as he slung his bag over his shoulder and flicked off the light in his room.

“No”, he handed her, her text book.

“Why not,” she pressed.

He was silent as he made his way down the stairs and to his car deciding the best solution was to just ignore her. Unlocking the car, he threw his duffle in the back seat. The other door opened then slammed shut. Seated casually in the passenger seat, Sophia was staring at her phone screen then looked up at him. “What are you doing?” he asked.

“I don’t have anything fun planned for today.”

“I’ll drive you back to campus,” the engine roared to life.

“It’s a home game?” She fiddled with the radio knobs.

“No,” he pulled out of the driveway.

“Can I come?” Sophia repeated her question.

“No,” Connor firmly replied, there was no budging him.

“Fine,” Sophia mumbled. She was fuming as she sat in the passenger seat with her arms crossed.

“Get out,” Connor parked the car, his demand came out more ridged than he intended. Without a word, Sophia got out of the car, casually walked off, and only glanced over her shoulder once. “That was unusually easy,” he thought, “Almost too easy.”

“Donny, you’re late,” Connor walked up to the driver’s window.

“Hey, man,” the two swiftly did a handshake without much thought. Donny had driven up to the game rather than take the team bus.

“Why can’t you learn our handshake if you can do that one,” a female voice said mockingly.

Sophia?” Connor thought, and peered over the other front seat. His suspicions were confirmed. “What is she doing here,” he asked.