12 - History Is Never Quite Forgotten

"I'll be there in about five minutes," Connor told Sophia.

"Okay," she responded and hung up as she looked at herself in the mirror. A silver satin dress synched tightly on her upper torso, flared and flowed at her waist down to her mid thigh. As she turned under the florescent lighting, the dress changed tints of gray. Slipping on black pumps, she took a step back looked at herself in the mirror. Her room mate walked in in a emerald green dress.

"Well hello there single lady, can I holla?" She exclaimed.

"Shut up," Sophia teased. "You look pretty great yourself! Got a date?"

"Of course, " Whitney batted her lashes. It was of course another guy that Sophia was completely unfamiliar with.

"So tell me..." She lowered her voice. "What's up with you and the Von Welt boys?" Sophia raised her brow. "Oh don't play dumb," Whitney rolled her eyes. "Everyone knows you were seeing Nathan no one has seen him around in a while but you and Connor are chummy."

"Connor and I have always been chummy." Her room mate eyed her suspiciously, "Okay not always chummy but he has been a good friend to me," Sophia confessed.

"What about Nathan?"

"What about him?" Sophia avoided Whitney's watchful gaze as she pretended to be interested on the hem of her dress.

"He and I are friend," she looked up giving a false smile.

"Um-hmmm..."

Sophia's phone rang, Saved she thought to herself. "Got to go, see you there?"

Connor waited for Sophia at the front lobby doors of her dormitory. "Wow," Connor greeted. "You look great," his eyes wandered over her body and lingered a while too long before his eyes moved back to hers. She smiled nervously.

"You look great too." She complimented. He looked more than great. A clean black, fitted suit. More than enough of a panty dropper for any woman. His broad shoulders, his tall physic, his handsome face, boyish hair cut, then her eyes flickered to his lips, and she turned away embarrassed. Her cheeks reddened. "Lets go," she grabbed hold of his arm, while her eyes were fixed on the walk to his car. Looking down at her he smiled. Her touch made his stomach flutter.

Upon arriving to the venue and making it through coat check, the two were met by hundreds of people. Familiar and not. Sophia's eyes scanned the room but stopped on one particular person. "Nathan", she thought. "Oh god..." For most of the evening she avoided Nathan's general vicinity, but that didn't mean he didn't notice her. He noticed that his brother, Connor, and she were definitely having a good time. They were dancing, mingling, and getting a little buzzed off champagne. As the evening started to whine down, Sophia excused herself from Connor to freshen up. As she was leaving the bathroom, Nathan caught her elbow, pulling her back to him. Realizing who he was, she tried to shake herself from him. "What do you want?" She hiccupped.

"You're drunk," he stated.

"I am not." He didn't say anything as her flustered face stared back at him angerly. It was the first time he had gotten a chance to see her in weeks.

"Why are you here with him?" Nathan hissed.

"Who? Connor?"

"Yes my brother," annoyance rang clearly in his voice.

"Well he is my friend and he asked me. Why wouldn't I?" He had no response for that. She wanted to spit in his face, and he knew it.

"Sophia..." her name left his lips and chills crawled all over her warm body. why could he do that to her. Why did she feel so strongly attached him it. None of it was real. He thought she was dumb. Sophia had noticed how Nathan effortlessly got things. He was always one-upping his brother. She was just another one of those goals. None of it was real. She was just being swept up in the moment. Tears filled her eyes.