He sighed, "No, unfortunately. I'm sure it will turn up though. I still haven't told my mom. It means a lot to her, and she's already so upset about my dad."

I rested my hand on his shoulder, which prompted him to look at me. "I'm sure you'll find it." What shocked me was that he rested his hand on top of mine while he still looked into my eyes. We've never really touched like this before. They way his calloused palm touched my skin gave me butterflies.

After a few more seconds, cold hit my hand where Wesley's palm once was as he pulled his hand away. He then inquired shyly, "So, you like bein' friends with them?" His head motioned towards the three werewolves.

"Yeah, I do. They are actually really cool people and are fun to hang out with once you give them a chance," I answered honestly and tucked some hair behind my ear.

"And Rhett?"

Just the sound of Rhett's name sends a strange feeling through my body. "He's a great guy. He's just a little guarded."

Wesley nodded and silence filled the air between us until he suddenly began to speak again, "You don't think he would hurt you? I just don't really know the guy, and he's a little intense. I just want to look out for you, Rae."

Although it's a sweet gesture, I feel a little aggravated by his words. Everyone always has something to say about Rhett. I know he would never hurt me even though he thinks he has darkness inside of him. I believe in him when he doesn't.

I take a deep breath and let it out in effort to alleviate this gnawing anger. "He would never hurt me," I say sternly and without a doubt. I glance back at Rhett, who had his attention on us. He probably can hear us talking. Rhett's expression turns from guarded to dumbfounded as he continues to meet my gaze.

"I hope so, Rae. If you're okay with him, then I am too."

"Thanks, Wes. I appreciate that."

We finished our food and then joined our friends again. Another couple hours pass, and I notice that my brother and Rhett are being secretive by whispering with each other. Since I don't have werewolf hearing, I have to resort to being forward with them.

"What's goin' on?" I interrupt them. They look at each other as if they are having a silent conversation. "Hello?!" I waved my hand in front of them when they don't answer me.

Rhett cleared his throat. "Do you remember when I told you that we caught the Vargulf's scent one time on a piece of paper at school?"

"Yeah. That's when I saw Parker hand it to you in the parking lot."

"Well, we found that scent again. Here," he stated, his face showing determination.

I looked around with paranoia. If that thing is here, we are in danger. "Where? Who?"

"We don't know." It was Sawyer's turn to explain. "Parker smelled it as soon as we got here, but it's like everywhere. Whoever it is, comes here a lot and interacts with a lot of people. The scent is on most of the students here."

My eyes search the area around us again, but all I see are people I've known for a long time. I can't imagine anyone here being that beast. I must have looked conflicted because my brother grabbed my hand.

"It's gonna be okay. We will find whoever it is and stop them. Just enjoy yourself. Okay?"

I pursed my lips. "That's gonna be hard, but I'll try," I sighed, squeezing his hand.

"Let's just sit around the fire while Parker and Owen investigate. I'll take you home around eight. I don't want you out too late if that thing is lurkin' around here."