Chapter 8 - 'Taking a bullet for her', now that's a bit dramatic

Whaaatt, this story is now humour #442 and romance #661 (I think that is the highest a story of mine has ever reached :O)

CHAPTER 8 - 'Taking a bullet for her', now that's a bit dramatic

I tried to talk to Kailee as little as possible for the rest of the week, and she seemed to accept that I needed my space. Angus and I somehow managed to pretend the conversation we had had never happened. However, I could tell he was still angry at me. There was nothing I could do about that though. I just never wanted to feel the pain again of that day again, and this was the only way I knew how.

Kailee and I were on call out again today. After sitting at our desks, going over cases for a couple of hours we finally received a call. This time it wasn't routine.

Jumping up from my desk we sprinted towards our car. "What happened?" Kailee gasped as I sped out of the lot.

"Gun shots fired in an alley near the station," I explained as I manoeuvred my way trough the streets. "Eye witnesses said it seemed like a mugging gone wrong."

Less than two minutes later we were pulling up at the crime scene. Jumping out of the car we found a woman lying on the street, a crowd surrounding her, blood oozing from her stomach. Less than a second later an ambulance pulled up.

"What happened?" I called out, trying to get someone's attention.

"He just shot her!" Someone cried. "He went that way," they pointed down the other end of the alleyway. Kailee and I simultaneously took off in a sprint, guns raised.

Our footsteps echoed down the street. My eyes scanned for anything, just a sign of movement, something out of place. Then I saw him, disappearing round the corner.

"There," I pointed him out to Kailee quietly just before he slipped out of view. I quickened my pace to the corner. Peering round the edge, I saw him sprinting away, just about to reach the fence at the end of the adjoining alley.

Dodging round the corner we continued to sprint towards him, both gaining ground now. "Freeze!" I called out just as he reached the fence. The man didn't stop though, instead he started to scale the metal wire in front of him.

We were nearly at him now. "Stop!" I shouted, but once again I was ignored.

He was on top of the fence now.

"Police!" I tried again.

He was on the other side.

And then he turned round.

I recognised his eyes.

A smile flickered on his lips.

Then I saw it.

From the corner of my eye.

He raised it.

The gun.

He shot it.

I dived.

The pain was like nothing I had felt before. White hot pain flashed through my arm causing a strangled scream to escape my lips.