Fourteen

She instinctively aimed her bow at the noise. It was coming from the middle of the cave and, as Rena approached, she dropped her bow.

"It's a Terror!" Hiccup exclaimed, moving forward to the small dragon, only to be growled at.

"I've got it." Rena said, dropping the bow on the ground and then, addressing the dragon, said, "Moonfrost?"

The cyan dragon looked up at her tiredly, attempting to move forward. She whined weakly before dropping down, prompting Rena to kneel down next to the Terror. "Hiccup, can you start a fire?" 

He nodded and went to work while Rena inspected Wartgrub's dragon, finding a small gash on her leg. On the opposite leg, there was a note tied on. Rena's curiosity got the better of her, and she untied the parchment. 

Rena, 

I need to speak with you. It is important, and regards the safety of you and your dragons. Meet me offshore of Berserker Island in one week. Moonfrost was sent from Berk, so depending on how many days you are from Berk, that's how long you have left. I hope to see you soon. 

-Wartgrub

Rena tucked the note into the hem of her tunic, then looked back to the Terrible Terror. "You found me?"

The Terror trilled quietly, allowing Rena to scoop the dragon up and move her by Daystrike. "You remember Daystrike, don't you?"

She laid the cyan dragon down by Daystrike's front paws, then pulled out a canteen of water to cleanse their wounds. 

She did Moonfrost first, since she was the smallest, and despite the fact the arrow grazed her, there was a bigger chance of her falling ill. 

Daystrike was next, and since the arrow had hit at the base of the wing, it was in an awkward place. She had to crouch under her wing to access the wound, and she cleaned it carefully in spite of Daystrike growling at her from the harsh stinging of the water hitting her open skin.

She was in the middle of cleaning Toothless when Hiccup reentered, carrying dry brush in his arms. He set the load down and went to Rena to help keep Toothless calm. 

When they finished, they lit the fire, allowing some warmth in the cold space. 

"So I'm thinking we can take turns keeping watch tonight. That way, we can both get some rest before tomorrow." Rena said. "I can go first."

"But you're hurt. Are you breathing okay?" Hiccup asked, seeing the purple bruise that ran straight across her neck. 

"Yeah. I can't talk that great though." Rena admitted. "I'll take first shift, then I'll wake you up when the moon is almost overhead."

"If you say so." Hiccup said, watching Rena sit down where she had been crouched by the fire. He glanced over at Toothless, who was still snuggled next to Daystrike, before laying down and closing his eyes.

-------

Rena stayed in the same place for a while, her head on her knees while she kept the fire lit. She was getting a little tired, but when she heard some voices outside, all signs of exhaustion left instantly. She drew her bow with an arrow already ready to fire, keeping her eyes on the entrance, nudging Hiccup with her boot. He stirred, slowly blinking his green eyes, and upon seeing Rena, fumbled for a rock.

Rena was standing with her body sideways, her left side in front while holding the bowstring with her right hand. She had her eyes narrowed in concentration, and it scared Hiccup to see her so silent and still. He should be used to it, since she trained in the arena all the time, but in this situation, it was a new experience.