Four

Hiccup departed from Dragon's Edge in the morning for Berk. He'd be gone for about a week, needing to talk to Gobber about Gronkle Iron and his dad about his new friend, the Rumblehorn who he had named Skullcrusher. Not to mention checking up on the Dragon Academy. He knew Astrid would be tough on the gang, but he also knew she would keep them in line, so he wasn't worried in the slightest.

Toothless warbled questioningly at him. "What? No, I'm fine, bud. Just thinkin'." Hiccup said. In reality, his leg was starting to ache a little. He sighed, looking ahead. Not a sea stack in sight. When he had leg pains, it usually meant he and Toothless were in for a rough landing. The sun was about to set, and if he turned back to the nearest sea stack, it'd be too late. 

Hiccup knew he would probably regret continuing, but at the same time, he could deal with it, right? He also knew that Toothless, being as smart and perceptive as he was, would eventually know sooner or later. He continued flying, trying to ignore the slowly building pain in what was left of his left calf as best he could. 

He succeeded for a while, but then everything went downhill from there. One second he was in control, the next, he was hunched over on the saddle, his left hand reaching down and tightly gripping his leg where flesh met wood. Toothless' flying no longer became fluid, instead becoming rough, with Hiccup trying to not scream when he pressed down with his prosthetic on the pedal. 

Toothless worriedly looked around, trying to make out anything to land on. A small cluster of sea stacks were found using his echolocation, and Toothless made a beeline for the closest one, trying to keep his flying as stable as possible so Hiccup wouldn't slide off. When they came close, Hiccup slid off. Toothless managed to grab him with his paws and hold him close, his inky wings wrapping around his friend, taking the brunt of the impact as they landed.

-------

Rena was flying Daystrike when she heard a shriek followed by a black blur falling form the sky. It wasn't from a human, but a dragon. She pulled Daystrike out of the turn she was currently performing and banked hard the other way, the dragon nearly vertical to the ocean. She left her hood down, too occupied to care. Daystrike hovered, closing her wing-tails to slow down.

She saw a black dragon that had ear fins, no horns, and a red left tail fin. Her eyes widened when she realized it was the Night Fury, Toothless. But where was Hiccup?

Toothless was on the ground, unfurling his wings to reveal his rider. The teen was not making an attempt to stand, instead curling further in on himself and wrapping his arms around his legs. The dragon was scared, nudging him and trying to help. Rena lowered Daystrike, who hovered, before dropping the remaining distance to the ground.

Toothless spun around and spotted her. He took on a defensive stance, raising his wings and keeping Hiccup behind him. Rena slowed down her approach, creeping forward and keeping her eyes locked on the dragon's. 

She stole a glance at the Dragon Rider, who had his back to her. He was shaking, ringing alarm bells in Rena's head. Poison? Maybe he's hurt from an attack by Dagur?

"Hey, Toothless." The dragon bared his unsheathed teeth back at her and snarled, prompting her to stop. "Remember me?" His eyes narrowed.

"Look, I want to help Hiccup feel better, but you're gonna have to trust me." The dragon didn't move. Rena tried to inch forward, but then Toothless opened his mouth, gas building up and making his mouth glow purple. Daystrike gave a warning call in the background, which her rider temporarily broke eye contact with Toothless to nod at her, prompting the Whistlewing to stand down. Rena put her gloved hands up in surrender, carefully watching the black dragon's reaction. His slit pupils narrowed more, opening his mouth wider and making a bigger plasma ball.