{Sixteen} What Happened Was

Start from the beginning

She shoved another two brownies in her mouth, eyes moving from me and focusing on something over my shoulder. She blinked a couple times before looking back toward me with a confused look. "Brother?"

My heart somersaulted into my stomach at the question. I braced myself, terrified I'd find Landon's horrified look when I turned around. Somehow, finding Colton leaning against the door with his arms crossed wasn't much better.

I squeezed my eyes shut and breathed out quietly. "His best friend actually."

Bianca sized him up, then shrugged. "Maybe you should go talk to him before we finish up."

I nodded in agreement, a seething bitterness starting to bubble in my chest as I stalked toward the door. Too angry to realize what I was doing, I grabbed Colton's wrist roughly and yanked him forward, pressing the large door shut behind us.

I didn't say a word and crossed my arms as I glared up at him.

Colton shook his head, burying a hand in it. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Maybe because it's none of your God Damn business, Colton. How the hell did you find me?"

"Why didn't you tell Landon?" He ignored my previous answer. "What happened, Avery?"

I pushed him hard. It startled him so much he actually stumbled back a few steps.

Fresh tears stung my eyes as I wiped at my damp, tear stained cheeks. "How did you find me? Do you follow me, you fucking creep?"

A switch finally flipped in Colton and he recollected himself and closed the distance between us again, cheeks flushed in anger.

"Yes, I followed you. Do you know how dangerous it is for a seventeen year old girl to be walking these streets alone on this side of town is? Or any streets, for that matter? You could have asked for a ride." He paused. "Avery, what happened?"

I stared blankly at his blurred figure for a while.

"If only it were that easy, right?" I said. "I could just pour my heart out and tell you what happened. But it's not and I can't, Colton. I can't."

He shook his head, outstretching his arm to touch my shoulder comfortingly, dropping it at his side after reconsidering it.

"But you can, Avery. You can trust me." He insisted.

I laughed hysterically through my tears, wiping at my face with my sleeve angrily.

"It's not about you, Colton." I responded. "Hell, I don't even know if it's about me anymore. Not the Avery I was, that's for sure. Just go home."

He opened his mouth to protest, but I beat him to it.

"Go home, Colton."

His hands fell to his sides in surrender upon hearing the warning tone in my voice. After a moment of absolute silence, he met my eyes.

"I won't tell Landon."

The statement surprised me. "What?"

He made a gesture toward me. "Look, Ave, this is your story to tell when you're ready. I have no right to say anything about it. I'm sorry for caring where you were and following you. I'll see you later."

Colton turned his back to me, starting toward the exit. He stopped halfway, right hand curling into a fist at his side, back tensed. He stood there for a couple minutes, prompting me to call him back or apologize. When he came to the obvious conclusion I wouldn't, he shook his head to himself and continued on toward the door.

I collapsed back against the door, clutching my stomach as a sob broke passed my lips. The gut wrenching and antagonizing feeling of guilt over what I'd just done had finally set in.

For the first time in months, I felt almost as bad as I had that night.

"Avery?" Bianca crouched at my side, hand on my shoulder. "Hey, you're fine. It's okay."

She hugged me against her chest comfortingly, looking over my shoulder at the door Colton had stepped through moments before.

"It'll get better." She assured. "You're going to be okay."

***AN****

*Unedited*

Hey guys! Sorry for the late update! I just got a job and school has been keeping me tied up!

Hope you guys enjoyed! 

Let me know what you think/thought!