Fuck, maybe I did like her.

She spoke, “Can I help you?”

I pleaded, “Megan, please stop treating me like I did something wrong.”

She looked up at me, giving me a cold stare, “I’m not.”

“Yes, you are.”

She shook her head, “I’m building the boundaries. The boundaries I should’ve set the first time I met you.”

I looked at her, shaking my head, “What?”

“We’re nothing more than acquaintances Sam, I could get in too much trouble if I ever got found out. I’m sorry, but I should’ve done this a long time ago. We will no longer talk as if we’re friends, not here, not at practice, and not at home.”

I just stared at her, not understanding where this was suddenly coming from. I questioned, almost sounding desperate, “Is this because of yesterday?”

She looked up at me then, having a tiny glimmer of sadness in her eyes, “Sam, just accept it.”

I shook my head, “No.”

She just looked at me, as if she didn’t believe my stubbornness on this. I couldn’t just let her shun me out like this, not after everything I told her. Not after everything I had admitted and let her know about myself.

She knew more about me than most people.

She raked her hand through her hair, as if she was stuck on a solution to this problem, like she had no other choice. There was always another choice, and the thought of losing Megan as a friend kind of hurt me.

And we had known each other for three months.

She shook her head, “Sam, this is how it should be, no matter what. I’m sorry I made you think otherwise, that you could trust me. I didn’t realize I was doing it until it was too lat-”

She stopped talking, cutting her sentence short which just left me confused. What was she saying? She was sorry for making me open up about my life just for her to shut me back off? That wasn’t fair to me!

I felt something deep within me, something I had only ever felt when my parents had completely fucked me over. The feeling of betrayal over someone you thought cared about you, and that feeling was the most terrifying feeling of them all.

Why did I feel that with Megan?

I closed my eyes slowly, nodding as I felt pain rip through my heart. I wanted to be mad and sad at the same time, but right now all I could feel was anger.

She spoke, “I think you should go.”

I literally couldn’t believe anything she was saying at this moment, as if it wasn’t really happening.