10. It's Not my Cup of Tea (NEW)

Start from the beginning

"Didn't they attempt to define 'Beings' as any member of the magical community that walked on two legs at the Ministry at some point? I remember reading something about that not going over very well..." Aurora asked, raising her hand and getting a look from one of the Ravenclaw's who obviously didn't appreciate the input to the class.

"That is correct. Burdock Muldoon, the chief of the Wizard's council back in the fourteenth century,  invited all Beings to a summit to discuss new magical laws, and saw that his definition was unworkable.  The Goblins who attended had brought with them every creature they could find with two legs, including Diriclaws, Augureys, Fwoopers, Pixies, Fairies and even trolls, and the summit descended into chaos when the Trolls started to destroy the chamber with their clubs" Minerva agreed, a small smile playing across her stern features as she recalled that particular tidbit of magical history. 

"Is that what led to the current classification that adds Spirits and Beasts to the categories?" the lone Slytherin asked as he raised his hand. 

McGonagall nodded "Yes, some changes had to be made since the Centaurs refused to attend the summits organized by the Ministry until the Merepeople were recognized as opposed to being excluded. This was mostly since Meremish cannot be understood above water. Also the ghosts were particularly sensitive at being classed as 'beings' given the emphatic definitions pushed by the Minsitry involving the living and the dead" the Transfigurations Professor  continued her explanation, the notes appearing on the board as she dictated them, as if written by an unseen hand. Aurora had quickly noticed that Minerva was quite skillful at both non-verbal and wandless magic.

The Transfigurations Mistress almost constantly exuded magnanimity and sternness and was held in great respect, and some fear, by nearly all students and staff. Aurora had sensed this and readily accepted the woman's stern teaching methods, knowing that commanding the respect of her students made her job a whole lot easier. 

"And us, humans? Where do we fall in these classifications?" the girl from Hufflepuf asked curiously.

"Humans, meaning both muggles, witches and wizards, are classified as beings. Goblins, vampires, hags, the Veela, house-elves and werewolves in their human form are all classified as beings too" Minerva continued her lesson, glad someone had asked that question "Although it should be noted that there are extremists who campaign for the classification of Muggles as Beasts, wrongfully so in my humble opinion"

"And when the werewolves aren't  in their human form?" a girl from Ravenclaw asked with an apprehensive voice.

"It is important to note that when there is a full moon the werewolf in its transformed state would be classified as a beast and not a being" McGonagall admitted with a slight frown.

"But what about Centaurs and the Merefolk?" a boy from Ravenclaw inquired, brow furrowed in confusion "They are rather intelligent creatures, and classifying them as 'Beasts' would be almost insulting given their high intelligence and complex social structures"

"They both requested to be classified as 'Beasts', refusing "Being" status because they objected to some of the other creatures they would have to share 'being' status with, such as hags and vampires" McGonagall explained, her knowledge and understanding of the intricate politics and cultural barriers involved in the issue from her many years of employment at the hands of the Ministry of Magic.

Aurora was listening intently, having either read or heard most of what was being said already, but nonetheless enjoying the lesson. It was interesting to see how the education in manners such as these, pertaining the human need for classification of the world around them had changed over time. It wouldn't have been too long ago that no wizard worth his salt would have ever admitted or agreed to being classified in the same breath as vampires, hags and other such creatures that had then been deemed 'unworthy' or lesser.