44

There's a collective groan at the table

There's a collective groan at the table. My happy mood sinks like a block of cement into my gut. Lucifer's deadly scowl has returned, along with Samael's angry glare and Beelzebub's exasperated sigh.

"Lilith," Samael warns.

She shrugs. "I'm just making a point."

No, you're being a bitch. Please be less of a bitch.

"Lilith. For shit's sake, just stop." Beelzebub mirrors Lucifer's previous action of rubbing his temples. "We're trying to have a peaceful dinner with our new queen and you just can't shut your damn mouth."

Lilith raises her head and stares at me coldly. "She's not fit to be our queen."

That's it.

I can sense the hurricane has landed, but I intend to jump ship before it hits me. Before my husband can erupt on her bitchy demonic ass, I shove my chair back and stand up from the table.

"Amelia-" Belphagor starts.

I shake my head and stare directly at Lilith. "No, I'm done here. I've been chosen as your queen and you refuse to accept that. That's fine. You have free will as much as I do and I'm willing to respect your choice. But I will not sit here for the entire meal listening to you whine and complain about me getting picked to be queen over you. You're a demon. You should be able to control yourself better."

Lilith stares at me, thunderstruck. Lucifer's lips hold a small smile meant to show his pride for me. Asmodeus and the rest of the fallen angels can barely hold back their laughter.

I don't stop. "You're centuries older than I am, and yet you sit here throwing a fit like a child. I honestly expected more from a demon as infamous and powerful as you, Lilith. Unfortunately, your reputation far from precedes you. If all you can do is insult my humanity and my ignorance about a place I've only lived in for three days, then perhaps I shouldn't grace you with my presence."

Having said my piece, I turn on the balls of my feet and step away from the table. I spin and begin to make my way towards the short hallway we came in from. Behind me, I can hear the scrape of a chair on marble as Lucifer steps aside to chase me down. I can also hear the sudden eruptions of laughter coming from dozens of fallen angels and high-ranking demons. I've managed to show some spine and put Lilith in her place in front of Lucifer's best and brightest.

Not bad for my third day on the job.

Within seconds of my exit, Lucifer has caught up to me. His icy hand grips mine as he gently pulls me to a halt. He steps in front of me, a brilliant smile on his face and absolute elation in his eyes.

I smile and cock my head. "Proud of me?"

"You have no fucking idea." He leans in and kisses me. "Stay," he murmurs against my lips.

I sigh and shake my head. "No. I'm not going to sit there and listen to her chastise me all night."

He pulls back and stares at me apologetically. "I can toss her in the fire pits if you want."