Chapter 4

"Where can you live safely then?"
"In surrender."

"What is this giving up?"
" A peace that saves us."

"Is there no threat of disaster ?"
"Only what comes in your street, inside your love."

-The Essential Rumi

****

It was a golden afternoon by the time Alaknanada reached the place where Ganga ghat resides. It was September so the afternoon heat was killing people with lot of sweat, it was the time when people wait for the pleasant winters to arrive but after a certain point winters also start piercing the skin with its coldness.

Alakananda took a cycle rickshaw which would drop her at her resident, adjusting her bag she seated himself. By no time she reached home. Cycle rickshaw was the most common way of travel in Banaras, it would be found more easily and comfortable arrangement made rickshaw a primary choice for everybody in the city.

As soon as she pushed the gate of her home which opens into a big and airy angan.
The angan was roofless so that direct sunlight can enter the home. The place was mixture of both traditional as well as modern make up, though the home started with an angan but the rooms were properly well furnished with highly modern equipments.

'Alka, I am so glad that you came I was waiting to see your face.' Came Vrinda Devi instantly running towards her daughter, she felt the presence of her daughter as soon as she touched the gate. Your mother can always gets sense of your energy around. Mother's just know for some reason your vibe the minute you meet them.

'No you were waiting for me to come so that you can get me married to some random Brahmin guy.' Alakananda rolled her eyes at her mother getting a small jerk on shoulder from her mom.

'You will never understand my love.' Vrinda Devi said dramatically. But yes, the reason was true she did have two three guys lined up for the daughter.

'Maa, but do you think I am ready for marriage because I am very apprehensive. I don't even feel it's the right time.'

She said adjusting her bag down and moving towards the sofa to relax.

'There is never a right time. It is always new and whenever you will plan to get married you will always think in the same manner that you have taken the decision too soon.'

Vrindadevi said explaining her and moving towards the kitchen area for the daughter to relax and have something to eat. For a mother also it is a tough decision to get her beloved daughter married and leave her on her own so that she can start a new life and learn the ethics of it but she knows that these are the rules of life and she has to be strong enough to take up the decision for once.

Alakananda was handed over a full plate of cheese and paneer pakoras (fritters) with coriander chutney which was Alkananda's favourite, she made especially for her. It always used to remind her that how she used to make vivid dishes for Alaknanda because she was completely foody person and she used to enjoy her mother's food but later she has to move to Delhi for her education and work and she got engrossed. The good part was that it was not really difficult as Varanasi and Delhi was some where equidistant but still the struggle of distance did remain the same. Once you start a new life it becomes really difficult to handle the old ties.

'Wow, My favourite.' Alaknanada got straighten up from the lying position.

'See, your mother know about your choices.' Alakananda's mother nudged in bringing the topic of some guys they have short listed.

'Mom please not again. Okay fine I will give you that.'

'By the way where is papa? He has not come home for lunch?'

'He will take half day today. He will come by 3 directly.'

'Okay why for me?'

'Yes for you and..'

Alaknanada's eyes widen up as soon as she got the hint of what is there in the process. It was impossible for her to make the decision soon. It was already 12 in the afternoon and if they are arriving at 4 then she just have 4 hrs to not only get ready in the sense of dressing but also getting ready with her mind. It was so difficult right now to even think of meeting anybody leave it a boy and his family for marriage. And she didn't even know anything about the person she would be meeting.

'Maa this is a very difficult situation you have laid upon me. It is so difficult to even give myself a push to even go to have a regular bath and you have told me to get ready for a boy and his family to meet.'

'I know beta this is spontaneous for you but give it a chance it is not something impossible it would be good if you just give it a chance and face it with clear mind. Everything would be taken care by me. Everything would be handled.'

Alaknanda was having a hard time to takeup the suggestion but not like she was left with a choice she have to do it anyway.'

'Mom this wasn't expected.'

'Beta everything would be good just go take rest I will wake you up by 3 so that you can have time to get ready.' Vrinda devi put her hands on Alakananda's shoulder relaxing her a bit and asked to take a deep breaths. She explained about everything is in place except her only daughter refusing this fact.

'Its going to be tough ma.'

'I am there with you.'

Alakananda hugged her mother tightly it was time that Alakananda needed for hew own mother to understand her situation. Marriage is a big deal for any one and when it comes to arranged marriage we can just be ready for surprises.