Chapter 31: Happy Birthday

Começar do início

Evelyn. But why I stopped walking was because of the state she was in.

Tears streamed down her cheeks, she looked distressed, her eyes weren't throwing daggers at me or showing any kind of anger, instead there was rather a torn feeling in her eyes as if she was losing it.

"How..? How did you get in?"

"I want to talk to you Ailey..."

"Uh.. Adrian isn't here if that's why you are here or anything, I am sure he will talk things through with you". I replied a bit confused with the way she was acting

Suddenly, the sad look, which she had been admonishing, turned murderous, "You took everything from me Ailey, I was suppose to be the one to have it all and then you came barging in, now I am telling you I need to talk and you act all high and mighty.... No!! We talk, whether you like it or not!"

She pulls her hands out of the pocket of her trench coat and what she brandishes in front of me makes my blood run cold, a gun, she had a gun!

Tears form in my eyes, I know now, that she isn't in her senses, I try to calm her down despite the fact how much I am shivering from inside.
She takes one step while I move one backward, trying to buy some time, my mind is working on how close the door is and since she is a bit hazy, if I push her down and make a run for the door what are the probabilities of my survival, then again calculus was never my strongest attribute.

"First, you brought Andrea into our friendship, then you knew about Adrian and me, you knew it and walked in our lives like a pathetic, desperate woman, who has nothing to do in her life, but suck off on his fortune; the worst is; because of you I lost him! He chose you! After all that hard work I got nothing! I should have killed you on that dreading day at your wedding! But that's alright I can do this now". She smiled maliciously in my direction, I gulped, this wasn't Evelyn not the one I knew, no matter what Evelyn was not a murderer, she wasn't; my mind was haywire at the moment.

Just as she was about to pull the trigger, I closed my eyes,

" I suggest you put that down Evelyn".

Evelyn whipped her head towards Adrian, who stood next to the door.
"Adrian, you're...you".

"Surprised to see me ?"
"I-but"
"Drop the gun and lets go inside and talk".

"No!! Look what she did to us, Adrian, she deserves to die".

She turned towards me, while I found my feet jammed to the floor, before she could fire at me, Adrian, took two strides and threw the gun out of her hand, grabbing and capturing her arms around her back as she thrashed and clawed at Adrian's fingers with her sharp nails; the police officers entered, grabbing hold of Evelyn, they started to walk out, while she turned towards me; "This isn't the end".

Adrian rushes to me taking me in his arms, as I soak his shirt with my tears, to tell the truth, I never thought she would go to such extents, or how she was going to pull the trigger so easily.

"Shh... It's going to be ok love, I am here".

~Half an hour later~

What the fu— had happened today! I had never felt so terrified, shocked or scared in my entire life. First Axcel, then this; my brain was near to exploding, when Mom, Dad and Elizabeth walked in with Adrian who was just seeing off the officers and giving his statement to the detectives.

Apparently, Evelyn had sent Adrian a message with my name, stating that he should meet me at my cafe, in order to keep him away, while she could have the 'talk with me', it was all planned.

The moment Jodie had given the message to Adrian, Adrian knew something wasn't right and had immediately, rushed home and just in time to say the least.

"Oh my goodness, sweetheart are you ok?"  Emma rushed to my side Elizabeth just rolled her eyes.

"I'm fine"

"We are so sorry, you had to go through that sweetie, if we only knew".

"Please Mom, its not your fault, you didn't know".

"Still, we should have seen this coming".

"I don't intend to sound rude, but I think I need some time to breathe and think things through"

"Of course dear, we completely, understand, you should rest, I'll call you in the morning".

I hug Emma, as I try to hold in my tears, it was like that loneliness I had felt before had somehow amplified with the events of today. Once they leave, I sit down on the couch, closing my eyes trying to erase memories of today completely.

Adrian closed the door and sat down beside me. I kept my gaze down on my interlocked fingers.

"You ok?".

I nod, on the inside I feel just numb, on the outside, I just tried to put on a strong demeanor but the shock of being held at gunpoint made me feel a tad bit shaken;

Adrian's long lean fingers, encapsulate my chin making me turn my face towards him, he looks deep in my eyes,

"You do know, that you are a terrible liar right".

He caresses my cheek, while wiping of the tear drop on it, "I'm sorry Ailey, why didn't you tell me Evelyn was blackmailing you and Axcel".

I stilled hearing that Jerk's name.

"What?"

"As much as I hate that man, I have to owe him this, he came to meet me today, told me how, he was being blackmailed by Evelyn and how she was blackmailing you too, he told me about everything; well; after I had punched him for kissing you".

He hugs me before I can object, or say anything, I want to tell him the truth, but I am utterly shocked, Axcel, he was the one who started all this insanity, then why back out, plus out of all things Evelyn could be, she can never be this vindictive, I know her. 

Pulling back from his embrace, I try to speak, but before I can, Adrian pulls me close, bringing his soft lips to mine, despite my uneasiness, regarding the turn of events, this feels to perfect and right for this moment to surpass. I part my lips, as he expertly holds me in place, bringing me on top of him, as I sit on his lap. My stomach keeps on doing those somersaults as the need for air increases and we part a little, foreheads still touching, I can feel the heat, on my cheeks; my insides are screaming with glee, as I blush profusely.

"Happy Birthday Ailey".

I still as he wishes me. "You know?"

"Of course I do, there was one time when my mom, dressed me up in that stupid black mask costume of...."

"Zoro?!!! Oh my god, you were Zoro on my 5th birthday!!"

"How'd you know?"

"It was you! You saved me, from the older kids who were stealing my chocolates".

"That was you, but Evelyn, told me it was her, under the mask, damn..."

Laughter erupts in the room, as we both laugh out loud, the idea of Adrian dressed up behind a mask was adorable. It was like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle started to connect, Adrian, fingers twisted a strand of my hair, as plucked them behind my ear.  My cell phone rings, from the next room, I try to get up, when Adrian pulls me back down, "Where do you think you are going?"

"My cell phone is ringing".

"So...".

"I have to go...".

"Okay... go ". He smirks

"Adrian... you kind of have to let me go in order for me to reach there". I get back at him, he smirks, kissing my cheek he lets me up as I blush hiding my smile I walk to my room.

I pick up my cell phone without seeing the caller ID, "Happy Birthday sweetheart...."