He sighed, turning over to me and walking close to my cage cell.

“Arianna, I’m sorry. I have to do this. You don’t understand, they – they have my sister. “He hung his head down in shame.

I recoiled, shocked by the sudden news. Zane had a sister? And she was apparently here, being held against her will? My mind suddenly flashed back to what he’d said before the whole sister revelation, and my body froze.

“Do what Zane! Do what!?” I whispered harshly. The worst possible scenarios came into my head: me being shot, me being strangled, me being beaten up. Basically, my death. It chilled my bones.

“Are – are you going to kill me?” I wasted no time cutting to the chase. If I was gonna die, I sure as hell needed to know now, if I had any wish in figuring out a plan to get out, alive that is.

“I’m sorry,” he spoke softly, his head cocked to the side in pity. Dread filled me immediately. His apology was evidence enough. I was gonna die, and by his hand.

My resolve broke, as I slumped once more to the ground. This time, I let myself stay that way, watching as Zane looked over at me in morose.

A month or so ago, if I’d been in this exact situation, I would’ve accepted death gladly. My heart was just as torn as my family, and all I could see as an escape, was death. Albeit a selfish one, I just wanted to leave the world behind.

But now, as I looked at how much had changed since then, I wanted to cry out loud. It wasn’t fair. I escaped my horrible life and found hope in the form of Drew, and now I was being finished off after finding a glimmer of happiness.

My mind was reeling, as thoughts of Drew, my family, my baby brother filled it. I had so much to lose. A while back, I would’ve just seen my pain, but now, there was so much I needed to experience. There were people who needed me and I them. I couldn’t let this happen to me.

A twist of a doorknob interrupted my thoughts, as a heavy set of footsteps echoed down the stairs, followed by a pair of timid ones.

A man whom I didn’t recognize came down the stairs, with a young girl. His hand was wrapped roughly around her forearm, pulling her along with force.

Zane’s body shook so hard I could see it from inside the cell. Not that I was judging, considering I was at the same level as him on the nervous factor.

“Have you had enough time to think?” He laughed menacingly, smirking in Zane’s direction, before sliding his creepy eyes over to me.

“Or, do you need,” he continued, “some motivation?” He laughed again, a sinister one in which each chuckle reverberated in the dark dungeon.

He threw the girl down at Zane’s feet, watching humorously as they both hugged each other and cried.

“Zane, Zane please don’t let them hurt me!” The girl, who I assumed was his sister, cried out.