Chapter 9

HEY MY BEAUTIFUL FANS! so it's been a long time (sorry, the laziness of summer got to me!) and i decided to write this at 1 in the morning! I know, crazy! But I hope you guys like the sudden action twist! More will be revealed later! Oh, and I will try to bring Melanie and Jake back into the story more in the next chapter! 

You guys know the deal, support the book guys! (:

Pic of Drew's awesome room! ----->

**********

My heart beat faster as I pounded my legs against the dirt floor. The wind whipped my hair in all directions, partly covering my view of the illuminated forest before me. The tall trees loomed over, shading me from the iridescent glow of the moon. My paws thumped against the ground as I willed myself to push faster and faster. I couldn’t let him see me. I couldn’t let him get me. My fur stood on end, the wind passing through it easily. Musky odors of the leaves infiltrated my snout. Suddenly, the soft floor underneath me turned hard, my paws hitting concrete instead of dirt. I was no longer on all fours. Looking down, the familiarity of my black converse greeted me. My furry paws were now my flesh filled arms, swinging back and forth as I willed myself to run faster. How had I suddenly become human? I didn’t feel the change? But it didn’t matter. I could sense someone running behind me. The dark seemed to mock me with his affluent smirk. Shivers shot up my spine, his cackling laughter filled the air, my breath falling in short pants out of my lungs. I missed the earthly glow of the forest, instead of the long endless hallway I was running in. Wait, a hallway? My eyes trained once more around me. The darkness that loomed before was now replaced with dim lighting. The loud pounding of my feet against concrete once again shifted to echo-like muffles. I stared down at the ground once more. My now barefoot feet thudded on a rubbery, yet hard, floor. The walls around me felt like they were caving in, as the menacing cackle stopped. I willed myself to keep running, albeit not hearing his menacing noise again. The hallway abruptly stopped, after what seemed like centuries. I stood still, confused, the only sound greeting me was the piercing scream of silence. Instantly, the sound of a menacing howl chilled my bones. I spun around, but all I could see was the fading of the hallway into tangible darkness.

“You can’t run from me forever Arianna...” a voice whispered out, its familiarity ringing in my ears. I turned ever so slowly once again, facing the end of the hall. The face burned unfortunate memories into my mind. The face brought forth its evil taunting smile. The face mocked me. The face shook me to my core. It was my nightmare, my fear, my worst enemy. Him.

**********

My eyes shot open, as sweat trickled down my brow. The loose tank top I was wearing stuck to me, completely drenched. My hands flew to my hair, pulling it all back with my fingers as I tried to interpret the nightmare I just had.

It’s not like this hasn’t happened before. These dreams-or nightmares-haunted my existence. Him, the reason behind my broken family, the reason behind my constant suffering, the reason behind my mother’s death.

Nobody knew of the deep secret I was harboring. Nobody knew of the wicked man behind my own mother’s existence. I couldn’t ask anyone for help. My mother died, trying to save our family from it. And now, with these reoccurring dreams, it was happening to me.

The terror of the dream, as well as my frazzled nerves, led me downstairs. I tiptoed quietly and skillfully-especially with all my experiences of dodging any attacks from my father or any other pack member-and reached the back patio. I stood quietly, observing the serene brush behind the pack house. It’s familiar green dulled by the shadows cast from the moonlight. For some reason unknown (my terrifying, hair-behind-your-neck-standing nightmare occurring?) led me back towards the kitchen, where I warmed myself a quick cup of coffee. Lucky for me, the microwave where I warmed my slightly bitter coffee was hum and silent-thanks to the easily woken pack members for choosing it. I rummaged around for some creamer, when I felt someone behind me. I froze, not moving a muscle, and shut my eyes. Praying seemed the only option at that moment, and I gladly took it, saying silent amends that the person behind me wouldn’t hurt me. But I felt the sizzling cackle in the air. Almost like the air was electrocuted, each tiny chemically composed particle attracting electrons and buzzing to life.