Chapter 24

I know you guys have been dying to know what happens next after that last chapter, so here it is! Let's see what Zane's really up to! And what about Arianna's life! She's in danger! Read on to see what happens!

Comment, vote, fan!<3

-soccerluv4

--------------------------------------------

Of all the times I’ve wanted my life to be over, this had to be the worst.

My knees were scraped up, and my ankle felt like it was twisted. My wrists were handcuffed to a steel rod of the metal cage I was in at the moment, and my head felt like it weighed a hundred pounds.

I surveyed my surroundings with as much accuracy as I could, considering the only light came from a small old fashioned oil lantern that stood several feet away on a wooden crate.

The place I was in was dark and damp. There was a strong smell of earth, which confirmed my theory about this being a basement or cellar of some sort. It was relatively empty, except for the cage I was in. To my left, were a few more similar cages, though these were empty, and a shiver went up my spine. I really hoped that they were empty because of a lack of prisoners, not that they’d finished them off or something.

Gulping, I looked over to my right. I noticed a staircase a few feet away, facing towards me.

Just then, heavy footsteps echoed down them, as slowly feet emerged from my vantage point, then legs, then a torso, until a very familiar head surfaced in front of my eyes.

Zane walked down stiffly, crossing the few feet between the stairs and my cage and stopping just before me. He stood there, staring at the wall above me. I moved my eyes down his body, to his right hip – which I now noticed, was sporting a handgun nestled behind the waistband of his jeans.

“Zane,” I whispered, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. He only looked at me, his face blank before turning away. However, in the few seconds that he did look, I saw a familiar spark in his eyes. Something told me he wasn’t the bad guy I thought he was. Call me crazy, but I trusted my gut on this.

“Did they put you up to this?” I whispered, scared that someone might overhear me. That was probably unlikely though, seeing as the only people in here were me and Zane.

He looked at me again, his face softening for a second, before he snapped out of it and looked straight ahead.

“Zane,” I tried again, trying to sit up a bit. It was difficult, considering my hands were locked up, but I used them to my advantage, pulling my hands out a bit and grabbing the rod in between them as hard as I could to scoot myself up.

He glanced at me, timidly this time, before looking at the stairs. A glimmer of hope rose up in me. I just needed to break his resolve a bit more if I wanted a chance out of this hell.

“Zane, talk to me. Please!” I begged, a few tears spilling from my eyes.