27 | A Safe Place

Start from the beginning

"Uh wait here. I'll be back." I fumble as I turn and head back into the house, leaving the door wide open.

I pad quickly up the stairs and into the bedroom. The bed looks like a hurricane just passed over it, the covers laying as violently sprawled as I had left them. I go to the duffle bag in the corner of the room, digging through it on a mission.

Once I pull out a spare set of clothes, I head into the bathroom and snatch a dark blue towel out of the cabinet. At the sink I soak it in water, wring it out, and leave it wet. I gather up all the items and rush back downstairs.

Outside on the porch Riot is sitting in a chair at the edge, glaring out into the nearby woods.

"Here." I hold out the towel for him to take.

A small annoying voice in the back of mind nags at me, What are you doing? You're suppose to wash his face for him. What kind of mate are you?

I can't help but to roll my eyes. Of course that's what Agatha would say.

"YOUNG LADY, GET BACK IN HERE! You can't just leave everything unattended!!!" Her old voice would shriek as she yelled at me. It always reminded me of a dying crow.

I looked to Alpha Andre for permission. He nodded at me and motioned me off. Obediently, I ran back to the house, my little feet pounding against the dry ground. I heard Nathan's fading 'oomph' as I went, telling me he failed to dodge once again.

I barely got into the door before my ear was being pulled off by crooked, wrinkly fingers.

"OWWW!"

"Hurts, doesn't it? Maybe next time you'll learn not to run off. What business do you have out there scrapping like a dog? None, that's what."

She dragged me into the kitchen, the smell of burnt bread made me crinkle my nose. The sight of brown crust against the oven window made her shout even more when she saw it.

"What in Goddess's name did you do?!" She releases me and shuffles over to the stove. With mitted hands she threw the door open. Her jaw dropped.

The entire space of the oven, filled with a giant, bloated cloud of blackened bread.

"How much yeast did you put in?" She glared at me accusingly, her mouth bobbing open and closed like a fish.

Yeast... Which part was that again? I knew if I asked, it would only lead to another endless lecture.

"Enough?" I shrugged.

"Too much." She grumbled and began digging the charcoaled loaf out of the oven. If you could even call it a loaf anymore.

While she was preoccupied, I snuck my way back towards the door.

"Nagatha," I mumbled, so fed up with being treated like her doll.

"Excuse me?" She raised her voice behind me.

I slammed the door shut to avoid answering. And from there, I ran straight back to the training grounds.