TWENTY-SIX

"So, let me get this straight..."

The car sped along a path in the forest and I held on to the door. Megan's attention flickered between the road and the rearview mirror. She looked different than she usually did at work, in tight leather pants, a white shirt and a leather jacket. Her hair wasn't in curls anymore, it was now straightened and it feel behind her. I tried to wrap my mind around the fact that she was involved in all of this. Not too long ago, she was the co-worker who was a little bit too interested in my life.

Oh. Now I get why.

"You work for Wade?", I asked and she nodded.

"I'm his right hand, he needed someone to look over you while you were at work and I somewhat fitted the criteria, I guess", she explained

"Wow", I said processing everything, "so you being there when Danny died wasn't a coincidence"

She was as involved in Danny's death as Wade was.

Her fists clenched around the steering wheel, "Wade ordered that I never leave the company until you do while Felix spent time at the top of the other building, watching from a different angle", the car went over a small bump and I was in the air for a split second. I squealed, "when I wasn't able to get up to the floor quickly, Felix was ordered to kill Danny"

"Ordered by Wade"

"Yes Bella", she said flatly.

The car drove out of the forest and into a long highway. Megan sped as fast as she could. I decided not to bother her so I watched as she drove. The cloud above gave way for the early morning sun. We weren't in Ann Arbor anymore. I wondered how long I must have been unconscious for Noah to get me out of town.

***

"Where's the boss?", a tall, built man asked Megan.

The house had a lot of security and through the iron barred gate which stood in between two long concrete fences, I could see the colossal structure standing proudly and elegantly under the sky. Men moved outside, most of them with large guns by their sides. They talked amongst each other. This was the place Wade had said he stayed with his men before the shootout. How did they go unnoticed with a house like this?

"He should be back soon", Megan said.

The man peered into the car, looking straight at me grimly. He nodded and waved his hand. The gate opened and Megan drove in.

The mansion was more visible as Megan drove. It was shaped like a circle, luxuriously built with grey stones. The sunlight reflected off small, octagon shaped windows. It was partially surrounded by a garden path on both sides. The car stopped and Megan got out of it, I watched as she walked around the car to my side and opened the door.

"Come on out", she studied my face, "are you okay?", she asked, concern etched on her face.

"Yeah", I said softly as I got out of the car, "just stressed"

"Oh don't worry about that, you'll be able to rest soon", she shut the door, "oh and Bella, I'm sorry I lied to you, I hope we can be friends for real this time", she added, a smile forming on her face.

I smiled back, "its fine, I understand and sure, we're still friends"

Megan grinned and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'll have you know I'm not always as cherry as I appear to be at work", she said and I laughed.

I should have known. No one can ever be that optimistic about life.

Her gaze shifted behind me and I turned to see a young girl skipping towards us. Her dress was black with a white flowery pattern. Her hair dropped in curly waves over her shoulders. As she got closer, I noticed her hair were dark and almond shaped and her skin was white, like milk but with a light pink puff on her cheeks. She looked like a doll.