Evin looked up from her ministrations with the pry bar. "Crate of valley posy," she replied. "I just can't seem to get it open."

Together, the two of them wiggled and pushed, and finally the lid of the crate popped free. The thick scent of valley posy assailed them, and Evin breathed in deeply.

The blooms smelled spicy, floral, and somehow creamy. They were all different colours, but most were a faint violet. They needed to be de-petaled.

Evin, Guiote, and Stacia worked for the rest of the afternoon at the Wheel and Well, stocking, cleaning, and preparing for the rest of the week. The rain continued to fall steadily on the busy little streets of Liminey, and Evin considered with satisfaction how nice it was to belong somewhere.

The rain continued the next day as well, and she was back at the counter as if she'd never left.

Stacia gave her a gentle squeeze on the shoulder. "Thank you for yesterday; that really was very helpful."

Evin smiled at her. "Well, I'll do just about anything for extra pay," she said.

The older woman laughed.

"And not many places will employ someone like me."

Her master's sharp eyes circled back and met hers faster than summer lightning. "What do you mean by that?" she asked speculatively.

Evin's eyes danced and she continued to joke self-deprecatingly. "Oh, you know. I spill about one in four potions I work on. I should probably be paying you!"

Stacia looked dissatisfied with this answer and began what Evin expected to turn into a lecture. "Believe it or not," she started, "I was the same way at your age—"

Suddenly, the front door swung open, taking them by surprise. Tak was in the back room, and Alon would arrive later. The rain had slowed custom considerably, and showed no sign of stopping.

The new arrival was hooded and cloaked against the weather, and dripped traces of rainwater onto the oiled flagstone floor.

"Welcome!" Stacia called. "Please make yourself at home."

The stranger slid his hood off and Evin noticed he was South Urdan—dark skinned with an almost bluish cast. His hair was rubbed into long, heavy locks, and they spilled over his broad shoulders and down his back.

These travellers were rare up in near the Capital and especially in Liminey, but not unheard of, and Evin had some familiarity with the rich South Urdan dialect and intense eye contact. South Urdanese folk were treated well in cities where trade and education was important.

The stranger nodded cordially at Stacia, but seemed immediately drawn to Evin.

"Good afternoon," she said to him. "How may I serve you today?"

He gave her a smile, showing two rows of perfect, white teeth. "As you can guess," he said in deep tones with a lilt to his accent, "I have traveled a very long way in the past week. Can you recommend something to ease a wanderer's aching feet, perhaps with something to help me sleep this night?"

Evin nodded. "Of course," she replied. "She liked it when customers asked for a specific effect without knowing the exact brew they wanted. It gave her room to play and create. "You said you're experiencing pain?" she asked him.

"Yes," the stranger answered. "Muscle pain from daily travel, and extra from the rain. I injured one of my feet as a child, and the weather always wakes it back up."

Stacia had made her way back to the counter and was listening to the exchange.

"Let me think," Evin said, mostly to herself, and Stacia and the man shared a brief smile as they waited to see what she would do. Then, as though some unseen entity had whispered the perfect answer to her, she went to work.

Potent: Book 1जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें