"Come on, Newt," Tina encouraged when she saw his expression, "it was a good first try."

       "Except that it wasn't my first try," Newt grumbled, sweeping his arm toward the garbage can.

       Tina peeked into the garbage, and saw that the bottom was littered with a pile of the crumbly black remains of pancakes. She winced, and took a step back. "Well, you were persistent," she said, though she was starting to lack positive things to say.

       "And I used up all the batter in the apartment, so we won't be able to make any more," Newt said flatly.

       "Oh," she said feebly. She once more felt like laughing at the ridiculousness yet adorableness of the situation, but stopped herself by biting her lip. 

      Instead, she strode over to the fridge and opened the freezer door. She rummaged around, shoving aside packs of frozen bean burritos before spotting a carton of waffles. She took it out and set it down on the countertop.

       "Waffles aren't bad, and all we have to do is toast these. They're a nice replacement," she said brightly, opening up the box.

       "As long as they're not expired," he muttered. 

       "Oh, Mercy Lewis, lighten up Newt!" Tina cried exasperatedly. "So what if you burnt a few pancakes? It's not the end of the world."

       Newt stared at the floor, shuffling his feet. "I wanted to make something for you, just this once," he said bitterly.

       Tina blinked, surprised, and immediately regretted her sharpness. She felt a stab of pity in her chest as she gazed at Newt, who was looking rather miserable. Sighing, she put down the box of waffles and went over to him, giving him a hug. 

       "I appreciate it, Newt, I really do," she murmured. "But what made you think you had to go to all the trouble?"

       "I just needed to do something nice for you," he mumbled, a pink blush accenting his freckles.

       "You do something nice for me everyday," Tina said, enveloping him tightly. "Letting my sister and her husband stay at your parents' house, despite the fact that they're both on the run from the law? Nice. Showing me around your cupboard? Nice. Going out into a storm with me? Nice."

       Newt huffed softly, although she could see that his grumpy mood was fading. "Thanks," he said.

       Tina gave him a final squeeze before pulling her arms away. "Speaking of that storm, how's your cold?" she added, a touch of concern creeping into her tone.

       "It's fine, I'm hardly even sneezing anymore," he said, sounding much more like his old self. "Now, what say you we get going on those waffles?"

       Tina smiled at him as he slid two slices of the checkered bread into the toaster, then pushed down the button. A bottle of syrup was already sitting out on the counter, and plates had been taken out, too. 

       Newt's apartment didn't have a dining table, as it was rather modest and small. Tina figured that he didn't really need one, either. She knew him well enough by now to know that he was one to only buy what he needed. Because of this, they ate all their meals in the living room, which seemed strange at first, but Tina had learned to enjoy it.

       They waited patiently for the waffles to pop back up, and as they were both staring childlishly and intently at the toaster, a loud knock sounded at the door. Tina jumped, and shared a confused glance with Newt. Bunty wasn't coming today, so who else could it be?