The Men of Silence: Part 5

John Peterson looked down at his kingdom from his penthouse, the golden lights stretched for miles into the sky. He'd watched hundreds of cars crawl around below him, and pitied those who were so poor, they had to walk to the factories and feed his ever growing fortune.

"Some whisky sir?" said George, the butler.

"No thank you, any word on Harper?"

"I'm afraid not sir, none of your telegrams have been answered."

He gripped the railing in anger, for he feared his most effective killer had taken up work with someone else. He had no other explanation.

"What do you think George?"

"I think that we shouldn't have given that beastly man so much freedom, he is rather reckless in his methods. In addition, times are changing sir, and there are other methods to dealing with your enemies than slaughtering them all."

"I still don't like it, what if he's received a higher offer? I would be at the top of the hit list."

"Understandable sir, perhaps we should send Tieman to investigate."

"Good idea, send for him."

"At once sir."

He spent a few more precious minutes gazing out at the neighbouring skyscrapers, considering whether to have the one on 15th street knocked down to restore his view of the glittering ocean. He had done so much for this city, he deserved to play around with it a little, he would not stop until it was perfect. As a private gesture for his future plans, he hurled the glass over the street, watching it fall before shattering on the concrete building.

"Master..."

He hadn't heard Tieman approach, and he sounded particularly alive this fine evening. But as he turned he knew something was wrong, for he held Georges head by the spine, the eyes were still rolling.

"Master... is dead."

"Tieman, you need to calm down."

"Tieman feasts, needs more, feasts on kings."

"Yes Tieman, you are hungry, there is food downstairs, but you must leave me alone!" his voice shook, for his monster seemed strangely calm for what he had clearly done.

Without warning, the monster pounced, and grabbed John by his collar. They didn't stop as Tieman jumped over the railing, dragging the rich man along with him. He screamed as the monster began to feast, tearing chunks of flesh  from his arm.

Despite the seething pain, John still gazed down at his empire as it raced ever closer. He couldn't help but notice the hundreds of shadows darting through the streets, consuming his people. 

Before he hit the ground, and the two of them met their fate beyond the city, he heard Tieman whisper something in his ear.

"Silence falls."

And was followed by nothing.