Chapter Thirty

Angus was familiar with Hannah's appetite soaring when they ate, knowing how often Travis withheld food from her every day. But he didn't expect a whole plate of spaghetti and a basket of bread to be consumed so quickly. Maybe it was one of those, 'time of the month' symptoms Sherrie always talked about. Another basket was ordered and Angus was invited to share it this time. How could he refuse?

"I'm real sorry, Angus, I don't want to spend your money around," Hannah said, wiping crumbs off her dress. A dress Angus didn't remember buying, and was real surprised to see. 

"Don't worry about it, tonight's a good night," he answered with a wave of his hand. 

"Really?" Hannah asked. "What makes this one so special?" With a silly grin, Angus mentally smacked himself and shrugged.

"Dunno, just is. How's your food?" Looking down, she noticed only the crust remained in her hands.

"Gone."

"Good. I meant, it's good that you're eating, eat all you want." Hannah grabbed a glass of water and drank instead. "I guess tonight could be considered...a special one," Angus decided.

Hannah swallowed the last of her water. Did he know, did he learn about the phone call? "It is, huh? What makes you say that?" Angus was too nervous to explain why, and took to drinking from his glass instead of answering. "Did you have something to say?"

"It can wait," he said quickly. "It can wait, I'll tell you later."

"But-"

"Tell me about you, what did you get up to while I was gone?" He grinned, hoping to find out some misdeed she acted upon. "Come on, I won't tell."

Hannah shrugged. "Well, I managed to work out my article writings," she said, watching for his reaction. "I'm able to send them in by mail now. I have a job!"

Angus' eyes lit up. "You did? Hey, that's great! When's it all startin', you work tomorrow or anythin'?"

"It'd be better if I did, I have to write more now before sending them in due to the time it takes for mail to deliver long distance," Hannah explained. "But it's worth it, having a job now so I won't have to move back in with Travis." Even the mention of his name sent Hannah into a sadder, slower state than she had been in. Angus wanted to pull her out of it. 

"Well I'm happy for ya', you're on your own! What made you take it so quickly? I mean, it's not bad, but I thought you'd rest up for a few days or somethin'."

"Rest up? Me?" Hannah asked with a grin. "Rest would be nice but I want to open my options as quick as I can. And..." Hannah played with her fork, Angus leaning in closer.

"And, what?"

Figuring it was best not to keep secrets from her friend, or, whatever he had become in the last few days, she sighed. "I didn't mean to," she started. Angus' eyes dimmed.

"What?"

"I didn't go through your mail, I just happened to glance at a page and saw a few things," she admitted. Angus didn't look upset, but he didn't look happy either. "I thought...getting a job might help with-whatever it is you need help with."

"Hannah, I don't want you spendin' your money on me, it's all yours," Angus said. "You're earnin' it. Besides, what I'm dealin' with isn't important." 

Angus reached for his water but Hannah grasped his hand. "Eviction, Angus," she said. "I think that's very important."

He sighed. "It's probably jus' a threat, I'm not gettin' evicted. If I pay the rent," he mumbled.