7: Constructing the Battlefield

It was a pretty good day. The weather was still a little sunny because it wasn't quite the end of summer yet, but it was also windy. The hint of autumn air was gently making its way into the crowded concrete jungle. The weather outside at that moment had always been Sam's favorite. He loved how the sunny weather was a nice contrast to the wind. It made the people in New York more interesting. Half of them would still be in their summer outfits, while the others would already be wearing Autumn coats. Despite the rowdiness of the city, Sam Carmichael loved New York City. There was something with how everyone was that placed him in awe. In all honesty, New York City could be overrated. Everyone in the world wants a taste of the Big Apple, even if it was just for a short trip. However, to the Carmichaels, New York City was their home. Sam maybe an Irish man, his children being half, but this city was where he started a family.

Sam slowly opened his eyes. His first instinct was to look at his expensive gold watch to see how long he's been sleeping. 31 minutes. 14 minutes to go before he reached his home. He missed the brownstone too. It was like a character in their family's story. He bought the home for him and Miranda to raise the kids 12 years ago. Things may not have gone exactly as he had planned, but he was still able to raise his children in that home. They had birthday parties at that house. Some involving grumpy clowns that demanded Sam more money than they were worth. Either way, those memories are just priceless. The house contained so many of those priceless memories. Nate learned to paint. James broke vases and lamps practicing football. Olivia learned how to play the piano. All of those beautiful moments were witnessed inside that brownstone house in Washington Heights. It will be hard to walk away from it all. He started to stroke his wife's hair. It will be hard to leave New York and his home, but he will do it any day if that meant he could spend the rest of his life with Donna Sheridan.

Olivia was the first to notice that her father was finally awake. Although, Donna was still sleeping deeply. Her head was still on chest causing Sam to sit as still as he possibly could. Olivia took this an opportunity to tell her dad how she felt about Sam and Donna. She leaned forward from her seat. She didn't want her brothers to hear.

"She's really pretty you know. I understand why you couldn't just forget about her all these years." Olivia whispered.
Sam was surprised. "Huh?" It wasn't that hard to understand what Olivia had meant, but Sam was just flat out confused. It's probably because he had just woken up. Sam was one of those people you can't talk to before they have had their morning coffee. A fact that his kids never seem to remember; much to Sam's dismay.
"She complements you well Dad. She's the type of person you should be with; who you should have always been with. I can tell that you'll be happy with her. She can make you very happy Daddy. I would know. You've been in love with her for so long." Olivia continued. There was a hint of pain in her voice, but kept a gentle smile on her face. That's a trait that she must have gotten from her mother. Even when she was sad, she could be happy for others. That quality was all Miranda.
"But?" Sam replied finally catching on. Olivia had always been like this. She's too nice to ever lie or insult someone. Sam raised her to always be nice, so every time she needs to say something that wouldn't be so nice, she starts by saying a series of compliments. It was her way of feeling less guilty with her opinions.
Olivia looked confused. She wanted to pretend like she was fine with all of this, but she can't keep it from her dad any longer. They never had secrets from each other, and she didn't want to start having some now.
"I know you too well kiddo." Sam replied. He said it in a specific caring tone. He wanted his daughter to know that she shouldn't be afraid to voice out her opinion even if it could hurt the receiver; in this case would be Sam.
"I really have nothing against her. I think she's really fun." Olivia reassured her father with a beaming grin. Sam believed her, but he knew that there was something more.
"So what's the problem?" Sam said sternly. They were both whispering so that they won't wake Donna, or have the boys eavesdropping on their conversation. However, that one line seemed to be a thousand times louder than it actually was. Sam and Olivia were both silent. They let the question linger for awhile.