Chapter 20 : "Crossing A Line"

The forest surrounding the burned ruins is dipped in darkness. The only guidance you have is the orange flames on the top of the gently rising hill, and Kol's hand that's holding yours firm in his grasp.

You emerge on the top of the hill next to Kol and Klaus and Elijah right in front of you. The flickering flames of torches fitted as a circle hide Esther and Finn behind the magic boundary.

"That's lovely. We're stuck out here, while the favorite son plays sacrificial lamb." Kol scoffs, glaring daggers at his oldest brother "How pathetic you are, Finn."

"Be quiet, Kol." Esther scolds him "Your brother knows virtue you cannot even imagine."

Says the witch who wants to kill her own flesh and blood.

"Whatever you think of us, killing your own children will be an atrocity." Elijah weighs in as he steps closer to the circle

"My only regret is that I did not let you die a thousand years ago."

"Enough," Klaus says, the tone in his voice angry, scared and annoyed at once. " All this talk is boring me. End this now, Mother, or I'll send you back to Hell."

"For a thousand years, I've been forced to watch you." She looks at each of them briefly before moving on to the next "Felt the pain of every victim, suffered while you shed blood. Even you, Elijah, with your claim to nobility, you're no better. All of you. You're a curse on this Earth. Stretched out over generations. If you've come to plead for your life, I'm sorry, you've wasted your time."

"I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous." You step forward, right to the edge of the circle. The magic barrier radiating its warmth to the pores of your skin.

"Oh dear." Kol chuckles. He knew you wouldn't be able to keep quiet. Not that he would ever demand such a thing.

You step forward, right to the edge of the circle. The magic barrier radiates its warmth over the pores of your skin "How dare you decide who lives and who dies? You might be the creator of our species, but you're certainly not the judge of life and death."

"That is what a vampire does, is it not? Be the judge of life and death?"Finn scoffs. The word vampire never sounded so atrocious.

Must be a great feeling to hate oneself so much, the only way out is to eliminate the own species. You almost feel sympathetic. Almost.

"Perhaps, but the world is full of monsters. Not all of them have fangs or claws. If you punish us, what about all the others out there?"

"Us?" Esther laughs "Even with your greatest enemy present you consider yourself equal to them?"

"We are the same species after all." You look over to your companions, stopping at Klaus who looks over when he feels your eyes on him "Well almost."