Chapter 16: "Drunks, Lovers, Sinners and Saints"

"Is this our thing now? Sneaking away from parties?" You ask, sitting on the wide railing on the upper balcony, dangling your feet over the ledge, wrapped in Kol's arms. Your dress is flowing in the wind, the twinkle lights wrapped around the lower part of the railing, shining through the thin fabric of your dress.

"It appears it is." Kol smiles, his thumb caressing your hand he's holding in his grasp "We're much better company than any of these fools."

The sound of chatter and music carries through the open, white painted, balcony door. It reminds you quite a lot of the night you had in New Orleans all does years ago.

"I don't know. I heard Finn is a fun-loving guy." You joke and Kol laughs, knowing that you would most likely bore yourself to death even talking to Finn. He has always been a nuisance.

Kol can only imagine how Finn's hanging on Esther's coattails. Ever the devoted son.

Pathetic.

"Don't tell me I should I be worried about my bore of a brother."

"You know I'll choose you over anyone." You say, turning your head away from his chest, looking up to him.

He smiles, not uttering any words, but you understood all the same. His eyes express what his lips cannot. He lights up with the truth he never thought possible and his inner storm settles, his whole world right in front of his eyes, brought into focus by your words.

In that moment, it feels like nothing can touch you, nothing could even begin to try. Just for that fleeting moment, everything else melts away.

He leans down and gently grazes his lips over yours, the still present butterflies in your stomach drawing circles after circles. His hand grazes your neck and pulls you into him as far as the sitting position allows.

When he pulls away you chase after the kiss, your lips unwilling to let go, before you resettle, looking out on the unchanged scenery.

"This view is breathtaking." You say looking out on the unchanged scenery the dawning sun dipping everything in its way into his golden and soon dark red color as if the sun itself is bleeding away before rising like a phoenix in the early morning hours.

You felt like you bled out too, not sure if was your own shattered heart bleeding through the thinness of your skin, or if it was the blood of your victims. Either way, you've risen from the ashes and Kol did too. And you both have no intention of leaving the golden hours any time soon.

"It is," Kol says, looking at you rather than the view. "Beautiful, magnificent, ravishing...there aren't enough words."

By then you knew that he wasn't talking about the scenery "Ever the charmer, huh? You know, I do love you in a suit too."