Chapter 15: "A Party Never Killed Nobody"

The tension in the air rises but quickly torn apart by Finn, ascending from the stairs, talking to Elena.

"Uh, I don't like this." Mae shakes her head.

"it's better than if Klaus would talk to her but still, nothing good." You say, the mere thought of them interacting in a positive way impossible to fathom.

"Speak of the devil and the devil will come." Klaus says, his usual smirk on his face as he ascends from the crows "Good to see you again, Y/N. Maeyra."

"Can't say I agree." Mae replies, watching the crowd, looking at everything but Klaus "If you would excuse me." She says and keeps on walking until she's out of sight.

Interesting. Mae never told what had happened between her and the Mikaelsons, and you didn't ask because you didn't much care for it, you were much more interested in forgetting all about your previous life while adapting to your new vampire lifestyle.

Whatever it was that Klaus did to her, she seems to dislike him more than you do. And that is something you never thought possible.

"Not even she likes you, brother." Kol snickers, fairly amused "You've lost your touch."

"Hardly."

It's probably the best idea to keep these two as far away from each other as possible. Fire next to fire hardly ever results in anything remotely successful. Unless burning an entire city to the ground is counted as successful, in that case, both Klaus and Mae are very much known to do that on occasion.

"Now, would you look at that," Klaus says, looking over your shoulder.

You follow Klaus diabolic smile, seeing Stefan appear among the crowd, dressed in a tux as well. He appears to be Elena's date. Elena whispers something to him and he follows her gaze, colliding with yours.

His lips almost curve into a smile before the moving crowd reveals your current companions, most of all his nemesis, and his smile falls. You cannot quite make out the exact expression on his face due the distance, but there is no doubt that must think that you switched sides.

And he's not alone. Damon, that followed Stefan's gaze shares the feeling as well.Seeing you with Kol is one thing, but Klaus....that's a different story.

Before he can hold back his burning rage, he walks a few steps towards you and utters; "So you're on of them now? Didn't take long."

One of them. Ouch. As if Damon didn't make you feel enough like a parasite he likes to cut from his life. If that is really his intention, then he should be proud of himself, it's working wonderfully.

But enough is enough.

If he wants to cut all ties, so be it.

"You know, Damon, for the first time I'm not on anybody's side but my own. Not that you would want me on yours anyway."

"Tell yourself whatever you need to. It's not gonna change what you did." Damon spats back, trying to keep the volume down as much as possible despite his anger.

While he has the right to be angry, he cannot possible pain himself as do-gooder Damon. He is not innocent. Nobody is, supernatural beings and humans alike.

"You did as I did several times over, first with Katherine, now with her," You look at Elena behind him, the tone in your voice paired with your glare sends a shiver down her spine "but still, you condemn me for doing the same? You know how people like that are called? That's right, hypocrites. You're a hypocrite Damon. And I refuse to be judged by you any longer."

"That's my girl," Kol whispers almost inaudible, proudly watching a few feet away.

"You know I make no excuses for my actions but I thought after all I've done, after all, we've done, judgement would be zero to none" You look back at Stefan who remained silent as always, not knowing how or if to intervene, even if you'd appreciate the help "I guess I was wrong."