Chapter 04: "Recipe for Disaster"

New Orleans | 1913

Your footsteps echo through the dimly lit tomb at the Lafayette Cemetery, the parchment in your hand comforting your skin.

"I found it!" your voice now accompanies the echoes of your steps as you hurry inside.

"You found what?" Kol raises from the chair he has been sitting on.

"The missing ingredient."

You unfold the piece of parchment signed with an owl sigil and place it on the table. Kol's eyes travel along the carefully drawn line of a perfectly shaped diamond. He arches his eyebrows slightly and it seems like he recognizes this magical diamond from his witchcraft studies "Of course! The paragon diamond!"He pulls you into a hug and lifts you in the air. "You're a genius, Y/N!"

He stops twirling after a few moments setting you down in your feet again, his face close to yours and you can swear you can see a flicker of surprise in his eyes as if he is astounded to be as near to you as he is right now. He just looks at you without saying anything or moving a muscle, before he suddenly comes closer. And closer, and closer, until he abruptly pulls away and clears his throat. "Uhm..How did you figure it out?"

"I called in a few favors and asked a very talented, yet creepy witch." you hop on the table behind you and Kol leans on it as well.

"She's with that secret organization of yours, right?"

"Yes."

"Will you ever tell me who they are?" he reaches for the drawing behind him

"It's better if you don't know, believe me." he nods and unfolds the paper, a smile instantly appearing on his face.

"We are actually doing this." he looks at the drawn version of the diamond that could answer all his prayers of a dagger-free life. He looks at you and the sincere and utterly alluring smile of his makes your heart beat like a machine drum. This guy is going to be the death of you someday..

Y/N | Present time

You wake up with a gasp, the image of Kol's smile prominent in the back of your mind as the sound of Bon Jovi songs reach through the dark, wooden halls of your brothers - and currently your - home. Stefan probably has a party going on this early in the morning. You hesitantly roll out of bed with a loud groan, almost slipping on the sleek wooden floors. There are rugs everywhere in the house but not in your room, it is as if they want you to break your neck every morning.

None of your clothes are here obviously because being kidnapped pretty much makes it impossible to take them with you. The only thing you could wear is an old pair of jeans and an old 90's Nirvana shirt with "Smells like Teen Spirit" written on it. You bought that particular shirt at a shop at one of the last shows you visited with Damon and you must have forgotten to take it with you after yet another fight with him. Living, or better, sleeping in the same house again will definitely result in a lot more fighting, that is for sure.