How to Carry On

Suggested by @user341428583973

~Astrid~~5 years After HTTYD 3~

It's been two months. Two months of people sending me their condolences. I wish they didn't, because all it did was open new wounds. Wounds I would just like to heal, and forget. He was gone, and I felt like it was my fault. I see him everywhere. The Plaza, the Great Hall, the Forge. Everywhere. I've been eating less. No matter how much people try to coax me, I just won't. It's just been too much. Even just the thought of his name pained me. Some days I just wanted to end it all. Other days I managed. There was always another reason for me to stay. But all I wanted was to see him again.

We had been married over two years ago. We had yet to start a family, and now we never will. It pained me to think that. It really did.

I slowly trudged my way up to our hut. What used to be our hut was now mine, and was now very empty. First we lost our dragons, now Hiccup.

Just the thought of his name pained me. I was in charge of the village now. I needed to marry someone and have an heir. But how could I do that if the man wasn't Hiccup. If Hiccup wasn't the father.

I start a small fire in the pit, and move to the kitchen. I should try to at least eat something. It's what Hiccup would have wanted. On the counter I find a plate of bread, and a note.

Astrid -

Please try to eat something. The bread is fresh.

-Valka

Even after Hiccup died Valka still took care of me.

I slice off a piece, and eat it slowly. As I finish it I begin to get nauseous. It must be from the lack of food. I brush it off, and go back to the bedroom. Hiccup's side is mostly made. Like he was just waiting to come home. On his pillow was a stuffed Deadly Nadder. I couldn't bear to let it go. It was one of the last things I had of Hiccup.

Laying back down in the bed I roll so I face the stuffed animal.

"I miss you so much Hiccup," I say. "I love you."

Soon I fall asleep.

———————————————————————————

The morning light was streaming into the room. I sit up to find people at the door of my bed. I calm when I find it's just Ruff, Tuff, Fishlegs, Snotlout, and Valka.

"What's going on?" I question. My throat was dry. I must've slept with my mouth open.

"Astrid. It's after lunch. You didn't show up to the Academy this morning. We were worried," Fishlegs said.

"What!"

I go to stand up, but a wave of dizziness draws me back down to the bed.

"Easy there Astrid," Valka says lowering me back down to the bed. I place a hand to my forehead to steady myself. "Astrid. You need to rest. You haven't been eating. Your very thin, and very dehydrated. You need to eat, and let your body heal."

"I'm fine," I say. This time I got a wave of nausea again. I tried to wait it out, but it didn't go away. This time I knew it wasn't nausea. I ran from the bed to the back of the house, and vomited. Valka was right behind me. She grabbed my braid and lifted it away from my face, and rubbed circles on my back.

When I was finished, she had a wet cloth, and I wiped my mouth. She felt my head.

"Astrid dear, you have a fever. I'm going to take you up to Gothi's," she said.