La Bayadére (1)

La Bayadère is a very popular ballet. This is my take on it for a Hiccstrid story. Here's a little summary of the first act.

Hiccup is chasing after a wild animal, when he meets a girl in the forest. He tells the girl to send for Astrid. She leaves and informs Astrid that Hiccup would like to meet. While Astrid is in love with Hiccup, the chief's nephew Snotlout is after Astrid. He continuously asks for Astrid's hand in marriage, while attempting to bribe her with all the gold she can possibly imagine. Astrid keeps rejecting him since her heart lays with Hiccup. While meeting Hiccup he asks to leave with Astrid. After promising to leave if he marries her, the two leave hoping they were not overheard

———————————————————————————

~Hiccup~

We were chasing after the Night Fury. The hunting party and I were just on the edge of the forest when I saw a young woman. I knew why she was here.

"Split up men! If we get the Night Fury in a large group he could kill us all," I shout at the party.

With many mumbles we all begin to split up. The girl runs into the forest. Making sure I'm not being followed, I run after the girl. We run deep into the forest, away from the hunters who could overhear our conversation.

We stop at a large rock, in a small clearing. "You're Hiccup Haddock are you not?" the girl begins.

"Yes. You are behalf of Astrid Hofferson are you not?" Hiccup asks the girl.

"Yes. She is waiting."

"I know. Tell her to go to the temple at nightfall. I will meet her there."

The girl nods her head and leaves the meeting place. She disappears into the forest to inform Astrid about our secret meeting.

———————————————————————————

~Astrid~

The elders arrive at the feast just as it's ready to begin. They light the fire, and we begin to dance. As I dance with the other girls around the fire I spot my friend. She's standing in the tree line. I smile once I remember why I sent her into the forest.

As much as I wanted to watch the girl for hints of what he had said, dancing the sacred dance was a difficult task. Especially when all eyes are on you. The fire in the pit, and the fire in my heart is what kept me dancing.

The music ends, and we leave the the circle of people who had gathered around the fire. The other girls continue the ritual, as the girl in the tree line falls in line with us. She's right next to me. After we were out of earshot I begin to ask her my questions.

"What did he say? Any news?" I ask frantically moving away from the people and the elders.

"He says he will meet you at the temple at nightfall," the girl, Ruffnut says.

"Is that all he said?"

She nods her head. We continue the ritual without another word spoken between us.

After the ritual was finished, I begin to hurriedly make my way to the temple seeing that it was nearly nightfall. I did not make it far until I was stopped by one of the temple workers. I twist to see that it's Snotlout. The nephew of the chief of our small tribe.

"Astrid. I would like to say you looked stunning tonight," he begins. I roll my eyes. I know where this is going.

"What do you want Snotlout?" I ask in the most polite way possible.

"I want you Astrid. Please."

"For the last time, no Snotlout. I'm not going to marry you."

"I'll give you all of the tribes gold. All of my gold. I can give you anything you want if you will just marry me Astrid."

"Here's something you can give me. Space. It's getting late Snotlout. I need to get going. So I would suggest not asking me, or begging me ever again."

With that. I turn around, and continue my journey to the temple where I will find Hiccup, and see what he has to say.

As I arrive I find the other girls who I had danced with, and who I live with guarding the temple. More importantly guarding the secret meeting place of Hiccup's and mine. They know how important he is to me, and how important iris that no one finds out about our secret meetings.

I stand at our meeting place waiting. It isn't long until the sound of rustling bushes is upon us. Twisting to see who's coming our way, I find Hiccup. He looks cautious as he walks up to me. Making sure that he wasn't followed here.

Once we're sure it's clear he wraps me in a hug, and spins me around. I let out a small giggle as he does. He bends down and kisses me on the lips. We pull apart and I smile as I see his beautiful green eyes.

"It seems so long since I last saw you," I say.

"I know. My father has been asking a lot of me lately, but I'm determined that no matter what happens I'll still love you," Hiccup says with passion in his voice.

"What has he been asking you to do that causes you not being able to see me?"

"It's not important. What matters most is you and me right here, right now."

I smile. I love the way he talks about us. But I can't help but feeling something is off.

"I know that look Hiccup. What's wrong?" I ask him.

"So much is wrong Astrid. I can't sort any of this out."

"Hiccup-," I begin.

"Let's leave. Move away from the tribe, the royalty. I have enough money to get us on our feet somewhere far away from here."

"Hiccup. We've talked about this. We can't leave."

"Then this leaves me no choice. Astrid I have loved you since the first day I met you. Now will you leave with me if I marry you. We can marry somewhere where no one can find us. Please Astrid I love you."

I had waited my whole life to hear those words. It warmed my heart to hear them. Now I was conflicted. Leaving would open many new opportunities for both of us. But we also had commitments here. That's when I decided.

"Yes. I will leave with you. If only you marry me."

"Yes." Hiccup lets out a laugh as he swings me around one more time, and kissing me passionately on the lips. I can't help but melt into it.

We would soon be free from this land, and the things that held us down. We would get married, and live an amazing life.

Soon we leave the meeting place. I see a flash of something as I make my way back to the small house I share with the other girls. I whip around to see who was there, but there was nothing.

I keep thinking it was an animal. But in the back of my mind, I knew it was something else.