Part Seventeen: A Revelation

"Buenos días, princesa," Camila greeted her daughter with a kiss to the forehead. The child barely opened her eyes. It was Saturday after all, so why did she have to be up at these ungodly hours? She just groaned in response causing her mother to laugh. "Izzy, baby it's time to wake up," she passed her hand on her daughter's face and smiled as the child's eyes fluttered open.

Izzy yawned. "Good morning, mummy. Is mama back yet?"

Camila shook her head 'no'. "Just a few more days baby and she'll be back. We'll FaceTime her tonight again, okay?"

"Okay, mummy," the child mumbled and snuggled up to her mother. "What are we doing today?"

The young mother couldn't help the fluttering sensation she felt in her chest, which she was experiencing right now looking at her daughter. The child was extremely adorable. How could she have spent so many mornings without this sight?

How could she have been gone for so long?

"You don't remember signing us up for your bake off at your school, princesa?" Camila asked.

Izzy gasped. "Oh yes! Mama was supposed to come with me. She makes a yummy quesillo." The child smiled and licked her lips as though she was currently tasting it. "But mama isn't here." She pouted.

Obviously, ignoring the fact that her other mother was. However, between the both of us....Camila in a kitchen? Just have the fire brigade and the ambulance on the sidelines.

"So what about me? I'm here," Camila pouted dramatically. "I can make some Alfajores. You like that, don't you?" Izzy nodded. "Or I can make some Torta Mil Hojas."

Izzy nodded frantically. "Yes! I love that. Abuelita makes it sooo good! Can I ask abuelita to come?"

Camila laughed and kinked an eyebrow at her daughter. "Is there something you're not telling me baby?" The five year old looked down and shook her head 'no'. Not wanting to say anything to hurt her mother's feelings. "Aww, princesa come here." Camila patted her lap and her daughter took her position on it. "It's okay, princesa. I know I'm not an amazing cook like Mama, but it'll be fun. Right? With the two of us?"

Her daughter nodded. "It would...but I really want to beat Brittney." Camila laughed. She didn't know what her daughter had against the child, but she wasn't a fan of the child's mother either.

Caitlin Garcia, aka the bane to every parent at Izzy's preparatory preschool existence. She also seemed to be completely into Lauren. And Lauren being oblivious as fuck, had not realised it once; too smitten with her wife and child to notice the stares of anyone else. The woman had acted as though Camila didn't even exist when she tried to flirt with Lauren. So yes, beating Caitlin at the bake off wasn't a big deal, but it would've just given Camila bragging rights.

"So...are we gonna do this?" Camila asked her daughter.

Izzy thought about it for a moment until she smiled. "Yes. We're gonna win and beat Brittney!"

***

"Mrs Jauregui - Cabello," an elderly woman stuck her hand out to greet Camila. "It's nice to see you. How did Izzy manage to drag you into this?"

Camila smiled when she saw her daughter's teacher. The woman was always super friendly. "She didn't have to do anything. She literally came home one day and showed Lauren and I the note informing us that we'll be partaking."

Miss Kylie laughed and shook her head. "That's Izzy for you. She's always talking about you guys, especially you." When the woman saw the look on Camila's face she added something else. "She really adores you. She always gets mad when a student that goes here; Brittney is singing one of your songs."