prolouge

"jace!" clary screeched, her voice splitting the freezing, swirling air. jace raced forward, out of the calm greenhouse towards the biting air. he could feel clary's terror seeping through his bones, igniting his blood to pump harder and faster to reach her. he could feel her attached to his soul, and her pain hurt him massively.

"jace, please!" she screamed again, in a desperate attempt to scramble away from the dark Angel. pain shot through her body, forcing her body to contort. she refused to glance upwards to the Angel, who she could feel was getting extremely impatient with her. it yanked her again, earning a shrill shriek from her hoarse throat as she felt her arm slowly pull apart. the bones slid together in agonizing pain, slowly wearing away and crushing at each other.

jace pushed with one last burst of adrenaline and grasped her pure, delicate hand. cold and clammy with sweat, he hung onto her fragile fingers with all his strength. the world seemed to stop, the New York typical midnight traffic drowned out, and he focused his vision on her face. covered in freckles, her eyelashes stuck together with tears, her eyebrows dark and outstanding against her pale face. she was so utterly beautiful that jace felt tears in his own eyes, unable to comprehend the fact that he might lose her. he had never imagined, since he met her that he could ever lose her; it was something he should have, could have prepared for, but never did.

"i love you." she whispered, so soft he barely heard her. "as i love you." he mumbled back, hurt lacing his words. believing that this was the last time he would hear those words, he kissed her. soft and quick, yet full of burning passion. her lips trembled and she let out a sob as the Angel dragged her upwards, ripping her hand from jace's iron cold grip. she thrashed and thrashed, but the Angel only gripped her harder, cracking the bones in her wrist. jace screamed back at the dark Angel that had stolen his lover, rage emitting from his whole body.

then, with one last huge yank, she sunk into the black sky and was gone.                                  
                                                                                                                                                                                                 jace coughed, tears dribbling down to his mouth. he was sweating, but he was freezing, and he couldn't stop screaming and shaking. whether in pain, or anger, or sadness, he didn't know. he didn't know how to handle this; he had never felt these emotions so strongly before.

something clattered on the floor as he slid down the wall, defeated. he picked it up gently and saw it - a chain with a small ring, delicate stars carved into the golden outline and a small M in the middle. Morgernstern. her Morgernstern ring! jace rolled it between his calloused fingers and sniffed, strong emotions exhausting his already tired body. the only thing left of his soulmate, his love. the one lost forever.