chapter 9 | somewhat normal morning

The next morning, me and Draco ran to the common room to find that Pansy had fallen asleep beside the fire, with the empty necklace bag next to her.

"What's she doing with that? Plotting another person to hex?" Draco stormed over to her and snatched the bag from the ground, causing her to shuffle slightly in her sleep.

"Draco, she was being controlled by someone. She didn't know she was hexing Annabelle!" I defended her slightly too loudly as she woke up slowly from her evidently very deep sleep.

"Snape? Draco?" She asked, squinting her eyes. "What are you doing? It's Sunday! Why do you have your robes on?"

"It's Monday, Pansy." Draco said with a frown.

"No it isn't." She demanded.

"No, Pansy, it really is Monday." I repeated Draco. "What were you doing yesterday?"

She paused for a second and her eyes went blank. I could tell she couldn't remember a thing.

"I have no idea. Why don't I remember what happened?" She asked me frantically. "Elise, why don't I know what I was doing?" She was growing more and more panicked.

"Just calm down, sit up." I said. Draco sighed and stood behind me. "Annabelle Highcliffe was hexed last night, and you did it."

Her eyes widened dramatically and her face went as pale as Draco's hair.

"That's impossible." She said.

"It's not. You told us you did it yesterday under someone else's demand, but you can't remember who." Draco said.

She sighed. "I'm so confused. I hexed Annabelle? Why would I do that?" She asked.

Both me and Draco shrugged at the same time. "That's what we're trying to figure out. For now, stay in your dorm and lock the door. Whoever told you to hex her might come back and ask you to do something else life threatening." I said.

Pansy nodded slowly and got up from the floor, stretching her arms and legs out before going into her dorm. Me and Draco were already in our uniform so we headed straight to breakfast. The Great Hall was already masked with the most amazing breakfast food, even at this time in the morning. I held Draco's hand as we walked down the steps and into the hall together when I noticed Harry, Ron and Hermione looking towards us in the corner of my eye.

"Ron, how many times do me and Harry have to tell you this. If you-know-who was your uncle, and he knew you were friends with his mortal enemy, wouldn't you want to distance yourself from him?" I heard Hermione mutter. My Veela hearing was returning for the first time in a while.

Ron sighed,"Well yes, I suppose I would. But Harry is Harry and surely if she actually wanted to be his friend, she would have found a way to still be so."

"Just leave it." Harry added. "She has all the right reasons to not be our friend anymore."

"You seem to care more than you show." Hermione said quickly as she buttered what sounded like toast.

Me and Draco sat down. I turned their way to see they were huddled up closely and whispering together. Draco noticed I was listening to them and asked what they were saying.

"Just small talk." I lied.

"Potters been following me recently." He said. "Seems to think I'm up to no good..."

"Well, obviously. You're Draco Malfoy." I said sarcastically. Draco chucked just as sarcastically and tucked into some beans on toast. I had lost my appetite since thinking about my uncle, he truly was going to kill me if I had anything to do with Harry. I just dreaded the day he asked me to do something to him.

• • •

Throughout the whole of potions I had a headache from the strong smell of roses and mint that the love potion was giving off. Slughorn seemed a bit lighter on his feet that lesson, which made me think he was thinking about using that love potion.

"What do you smell?" I asked Draco who was stirring vigorously.

He took a strong whiff and coughed. "Feet." He said.

I playfully punched him in the arm and he began to laugh. I hadn't seen him laugh in a while. "I'm joking! I can smell vanilla, berries and also roses, probably from my gardens at Malfoy Manor. Although, mother was extremely upset before I left for Hogwarts as we had dementors in the grounds and they killed all of her gardening. Not that she ever did it by hand." Draco said.

"You have dementors?" I asked, not understanding why the guards of Azkaban were at my boyfriends house.

"Still looking for Sirius Black I suppose." He smirked. Harry turned around at those words and shot Draco the meanest, dirtiest look I had ever seen him pull.

"Draco! Don't be so cold hearted! That wasn't funny!" I said angrily. "I suppose you're going to leave me to apologize for your behavior then?"

Draco rolled his eyes and continued stirring. I too rolled my eyes before leaving our desk and walking over to Harry and Ron's desk. "I'm so sorry about that, Harry." I said.

Harry shook his head. "Malfoy will be Malfoy."

"Long time no see..." Ron said slightly under his breath, as if he wanted me to hear but didn't at the same time.

"There's been a lot going on, Ron." I looked at the ground. "I know you understand what I'm talking about."

Hermione appeared behind them with a wide, bright smile on her face. "Elise! Are you coming to the Slug Club Christmas Party on Wednesday?" She asked excitedly. I supposed I didn't really have much choice.

"I guess I am now!" Then I remembered. Draco wasn't allowed to come on Slughorns orders. "I have no one to go with though..."

"Blaise?" Hermione suggested. I shrugged. I suppose he could be my temporary date after I tried to explain to Draco what was going on.