chapter 22 | ministry

The next morning, no body said a word. Draco was reading an old version of the Quibbler, Josh was sat next to the flowers I grew for Edward's grave and my dad was beginning to pack the tent away.

"Can you help me?" Dad said quietly. I nodded and got everything of mine from the tent. Draco came outside and sat beside Edward's grave too.

"On the count of three," Severus said,"1-2-3"

I tapped my wand on the tent and it folded up nicely into a small drawstring bag.

"Is everyone ready to leave?" Josh said with a croaky voice. "I would like to go as soon as possible."

"Yes, we can disapparate now." My dad said as he beckoned Draco over. We held hands and before I knew it, we were at Malfoy Manor.

It was absolutely freezing and the gardens had frozen up, but I could still smell the honeysuckle growing along the fences towards the gate and the fresh roses that somehow hadn't died during the winter.

"Let's go inside..." Severus said quietly.

The door swung open almost immediately as we approached it, revealing Narcissa who looked worse than ever.

"Draco—" She said breathlessly as she ran towards us. She shot me a look and took Draco inside.

• • • • •

"I'm sorry to heard about your brother, Joshua." Narcissa said as she poured us a hot cup of tea each. "He was a lovely, intelligent young man."

Joshua gulped and nodded, before sipping his tea silently.

"He isn't here." Lucius said as he walked in the living room.

Everyone frowned up at him, including Narcissa.

"Well, I assume that's why you're here." He said smoothly as Narcissa handed him a drink. "The Dark Lord. He's not here."

"We haven't come to find The Dark Lord. We came to drop Draco home. He needs to be with his family." Dad said.

"Dad!" I exclaimed.

Draco was frowning deeply, so was Josh, not understanding where he was going to go.

"After his little expedition in the forest, Snape, I would've hoped that he could come home now. There are things..." Narcissa paused,"The Dark Lord will tell you, Draco. There's a few things that are going to change around here."

Everyone seemed to know what she was talking about except me, Josh and Draco. I looked at my dad but he was avoiding my gaze.

"Elise, Josh, we're leaving." Dad said as he turned and left the room.

"Where?" Josh asked bravely.

"The Ministry of Magic."

Lucius cleared his throat and then wiped his hands on his trousers,"Severus, is that wise..."

My dad had already left,

• • • • •

"Will you please explain what's going on?" I asked for seventh time in the past ten minutes as we paced through the offices and down an elevator until we reached a long room with what looked like the Hall of Prophecy. I hadn't a clue what we were doing here.

"Elise, I'm going. You and Josh need to find somewhere to hide and I want you to find Lucius when he gets here. Then, you leave with him. I don't want you getting involved with any of the fighting, you hear me?" Dad said sternly down at us. We nodded silently even though we had no idea what he was talking about.

Before we knew it, he was gone.

Suddenly, the Orbs began to fall from the shelves and they were smashing on the floor. Me and Josh could hear screams and cries, and then we saw Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna and Neville.

"Elise?" Hermione said. "Elise!" She was calling down the halls as she ran with Harry.

"Josh, we can't be seen here." I said quickly, taking his hand and apparating us into a pit where there were two large boulders with a misty substance in between them. "They're probably fighting the Death Eaters, Josh. We cannot be seen with Harry or the Death Eaters. We have to hide."

"Where—"

I took his hand and apparated us on a ledge high up on the walls of the pit, where we could watch out for people. All of a sudden, Harry fell from the sky, and then Hermione and then the rest of them. Me and Josh stayed silent as they began talking. It seemed that we couldn't hear anything from up here.

I saw Harry, Ron and Hermione exchange worried glances, and then suddenly Lucius had apparated into the pit. Then, very quickly, Bellatrix and some other Death Eaters has arrived and were holding Neville, Luna, Ginny, Ron and Hermione by their throats. Harry was trapped in the middle of them holding what looked like a Prophecy. I couldn't hear what was said, even using my Veela hearing. I guessed that there was a spell used.

"Josh, we need to help them." I whispered as we balanced on a tiny ledge on the wall. "We can't leave them!"

I looked at Josh who was staring intensely down at them, thinking up a plan.

"We should stay up here, where were safe. I lost my brother a few hours ago, Elise, and I can't lose you too." Josh held my hand as we watched Harry try and talk his way out of the already impossible to escape situation.