chapter 17 | the mystery masked man

i sat uncomfortably infront of my mirror and stared at myself. i couldn't make out if the mask was too big; did it cover too much of my face? i know the whole point of masquerade balls are that you don't know who the person is until midnight but...

"elise!" mother called from outside of my room.

"come in!" i called back.

the door opened slowly and mother looked at me up and down slowly before bursting into uncontrollable tears.

"mum!" i ran up to her and held her.

"i'm okay! i'm fine!" she pushed me away gently and looked at my long, silky dress again.

"is it too much?" i asked, pointing at the mask.

she looked from my dress to my mask and gasped excitedly,"no! you look...stunning!"

i smiled and took the mask off, hugging my mum tightly.

"come on, let's go." mum looked lovely too, she wore a long red silk dress with lace arms and a black mask that covered her eyes.

we decided not to apparate based on yesterday's attempt and instead used floo powder to get to malfoy manor, where the party was being hosted.

we arrived in the entrance hall where around 10 people were stood all dressed up. everyone stared at me intensely, i couldn't figure out if it was because i looked nice or because we couldn't apparate. mum led me to the main ballroom at the back where narcissa and lucius were talking to some people and lots of people were dancing romantically together.

dancing isn't my thing so i edged my way around to the food. i nibbled at a few things but i didn't eat too much as i was wearing a very tight dress- i didn't want to look bloated. by the time i looked back towards mum, she was in a huddle of around 20 females holding some kind of alcohol so i found a chair and watched the party, considering why on earth i wasted money on a dress and a mask. then i noticed a boy in black hat and a black mask dancing elegantally with an older lady in the middle of the room. i watched him move and he looked beautiful. the way he danced made me attracted to him in a way i couldn't describe, all of my sadness over draco had disappeared and it was like i moved on instantly. then i wondered where he was, assuming he didn't want to be involved in dancing, he always hated dancing.

as i watched him closely, i realised he was also staring intensely back at me as he danced with the elderly lady. i smirked at him and he licked his lips before turning away. my heart fluttered and my stomach was full of butterflies so i went outside to get some fresh air, it was suddenly very warm inside malfoy manor.
as i walked outside i felt someone watching me as i left, i instantly knew it was the dancing boy so i walked slower to let him catch up. i turned around to see the boy following me discreetly. he noticed that i had seen him so he just kept walking towards me; i kept walking further into the gardens.
the air was cold but the music was still heard and the smell of whiskey was still smelt even from the gardens of the manor. i noticed a broom on the floor, it looked terribly like draco's.
a heard a soft cough from behind me and turned around quickly. i saw the dancing boy. i grinned to myself at how pathetic this seemed, it was like a movie.
his hat covered his hair so i couldn't see what colour it was and his mask covered his whole face. all i could see was his gorgeous black suit that fitted him perfectly.
"hello..." i said quietly in almost a whisper.
the boy didn't reply, he only held my waist with one hand and my hand with the other and pulled me into a dance.
"i saw you dancing inside..." i whispered.
the boy said nothing, he just kept twirling me around and pulling me back in.
"you were very good..." i continued.
a flash of light reflecting off of a torch hit his eyes and i recognized them immediately. the icy blue- grey eyes.
it was draco malfoy.
"draco." i lost my breath slightly as i realised who the dancing boy was.
"elise." his soft voice whispered back as we swayed left and right slowly.
"i didn't know..." i was interrupted as draco took off his mask and then slowly pulled off mine, then pulling me into the most passionate kiss we'd ever shared.
i felt my body electrifying and my heart skipping a beat every time our lips touched, it was like a first kiss only i knew i loved him again.

he pulled away and stared me straight in the eyes, full of love.
"i love you." he said, with a strong voice.
i smiled and laid into his chest, stroking his strong shoulders.
"i love you too draco malfoy."