Ham Fam Short Story 2

Start from the beginning

I slapped him beside the head, ignoring his signs of protest. "I don't care what he said! You're going to take someone's life, or worse, you're going to loose yours!"

"You know I'm not gonna' get myself killed Abby." He ran a hand through his mess of curls, and collapsed into a seating position on his bed. "I'm defending father's name. I already spoke to him about it!"

"That does not make this any better! For being such a smart man Philip, I'm surprised you would ever do something so stupid. The irony is that I'm not surprised Pops is fine with you shooting another person." Father was known for his stupid decisions, he already destroyed his marriage, it's no surprise he would hand Philip a gun and send him off with a 'good luck'.

"I'm not gonna' shoot him."

"Then he'll shoot you." His voice stopped at my words. "George Eacker is a man that brings trouble. I'm telling mom-"

"No!" Philip yelled, and I looked towards him with shock. We needed to tell her, she needed to be there. "Mom can't know. Not yet."

I sighed and rubbed my eyes, plopping myself beside him on his bed. "What have you gotten yourself into?"

The duel had commenced the following day. It was Pops and I, and some doctor my father knew that attended. Mom didn't arrive until after Philip had been shot. My eyes watered thinking of that day, and I quickly excused myself from the table. My feet pounded as they touched each stair, moving faster and faster. I was going to retreat to my room, but saw Angie's door propped open, and decided to see how she was doing.

I peered through the crack of the door, it giving a small creek as it opened greater. Angie's small figure sat in the corner of her room on her bed, her back towards me. "Hey Ang, how you doing today?" I asked softly, sitting down beside her.

"Did you wake Philip up for school?" She asked with wide innocent eyes.

I shakily sighed and tried to control my watering eyes. "Of course." My voice cracked tremendously. "He's eating breakfast downstairs."

The imagination that Philip was alive that I had in my tired state, Angie had permanently. Her withdrawal of Philip's presence after his death was so extreme, she has completely forgot he died. The doctor said her hallucinations of him would be permanent, forever stuck in a completely different world. And frankly, a better world. I rubbed her shoulders gently, "We're all eating eggs. Do you want to join?" Angie didn't reply, I figured she was busy in her own mind. "Okay." I whispered, "Martha's going to come over to watch you while we... go out. Be good for her." I took her silence as a cooperative response, and exited the room. I walked out quickly, quietly shutting the door behind me. I wiped the tears beneath my eyes, sniffling hopelessly. I kept in the sobs that tried to escape my lips and went back to my room.

The mirror in front of me showed my entire body. From my black flats and black laced dress. To my unruly curly brown hair tied back in a bun, and freckled face. My waist was clenched against the tight corset. Mom knocked on the door gently, and without even looking at her I knew it was time to leave for the funeral. I walked downstairs to find none of my siblings.

"They got a head start to the carriage." A deeper voice spoke before I could, I almost tripped down the stairs turning my head to see Dad standing in front of the door. He wore an all black suit with a velvet black jacket. It had been so long since I had seen him. I gave him a hug, and almost had broke down into tears once more. His hair was not in it's usual ponytail, instead parted down the center flat down to his shoulders. He looked nice, nicer than his disheveled state he held before the pamphlet.

My mom walked right past Pops and I, and straight out the door. A sign that she still didn't want to speak to him. I did not blam her either, but right now. I really needed my dad to comfort me. I gave him a look of sympathy and held out my hand for him to take. And so, we walked out hand in hand, and to our horse drawn carriage. 

///

We decided on an outdoor ceremony, despite the cold November chill. The funeral wasn't large, I recognized close family that I usually saw on the holidays. Though it was still strange not seeing Aunt Peggy's cheerful self talking to Aunt Angelica. Instead Aunt Angelica and my mom held quite conversation in the back. Peggy had died this past March from a illness that progressed until her death. She had died in Albany where she was being treated, and Pops had happened to be there. He stayed with her all the way to her last breath. I will never forget my mother's face when she had read the news in a letter from him.

Aunt Angelica gave me a small smile amidst her conversation, silently informing me she would speak to me later. There were a good handful of people I had never seen or met before. I walked around and accepted everyone's apologies and empty small talk until the ceremony began. We chose to keep his coffin closed so I didn't have to look at his peaceful face. I had already said my goodbyes, no need to torture myself further. 

Truthfully I had blocked out most of what the Priest had been saying. Yes, I wanted Philip's funeral to be good and purposeful, but this was the nonsense that didn't matter. When the time came and the priest asked if anyone wanted to say any kind words, my mom went up first and read some of Philip's old poems to lighten the mood. She read a lot from when he was little, and they were really funny and childish. Then Aunt Angelica went up, and spoke about funny stories of him when he was little and immature. Then it was my turn.

I walked up to the front, the harsh wind bringing goosebumps to my bare arms. I hadn't wrote anything down, but knew exactly what I wanted to say. I looked towards my mom who gave me a smile of encouragement. So with clearing my throat I began. 

"I need to start by apologizing. I'm not going to speak of such lighthearted moments like my mom and Auntie. But I really want to explain how important Philip was to me." Nobody spoke up. "I was going to say something about how Philip accepted me so willingly, but truthfully he had no choice. I was literally adopted by Mom and Pops the day he was born." That brought a few chuckles, which wasn't the goal but was effective. "Since childhood... Philip had been my person. He was my better half, my shoulder to lean on when need be. He was my best friend. My brother."

I sniffled and continued. "Right now I can see him telling me how strong I'm being. He was always encouraging me, even when I was over dramatic... I want to tell stories about us growing up, stories about us talking in only Latin for an entire week just to confuse my mom... But when I think of all he's done in the past I can't help but think of all he's missing in the future. I'm never going to see him get married, I won't be an aunt to his children. He can't be the best man at my own wedding, and be the uncle to my children. He can't play hide and seek with me anymore, or attend the rest of college. We can never speak Latin as if it was out own secret language. He's missing out on so many things and it is so unfair."

I paused and swallowed, letting a tear slip down my face. "I miss my brother. And I would do anything to hug him once more. And I know you're listening right now Philip. You know I love you, right?" I looked towards the air. "That's all." 

And with that I exited from the front of the seats, and retreated to my chair. 

A/N: OKAY IM SO SORRY ITS BEEN AWHILE SINCE I'VE UPDATED AND I RETURN WITH THIS CRAPPY CHAPTER.

School is actually SO HARD. I'm taking AP Human Geography and the stupid teacher has a test like everyday. I'm also in Honors Physics and the teacher doesn't actually teach anything... he just throws formulas at your face and says good luck. I'm struggling and the homework load is a lot and I'm also trying to fit in these chapters.

Sorry.

FINALLY.... I wanted to let you guys know that this book is ending very soon and I have very valid reasons to do so. I didn't want it to come as a shock, but know that the end of Hamilton One Shots is approaching. 

Thank you <3

(P.S. Sorry for any typos, very poorly edited.)