1

New York, 1964.

I'm living on my own at the moment, as if I'd be living with anyone else. I get home from work late at night, but it's a good thing I only work five nights a week. I get the weekend off, like I did when I was in school.

I live in a rather small apartment with just myself. I have no pets, or anyone really. I mean, I have family, they just live in Australia. They moved out of New York looking for new beginnings after I moved out. For a while, I lived in tent city because I had no job. Eventually, I got a job as a waitress, and the tips helped me move out of tent city and into an apartment of my own.

I have barely any furniture in my apartment, and had to beg my parents to send me money. The sent me money, and they sent enough for me to get a bed and a desk, which is really all I need. I take home food from work to eat.

I fall into bed and realize that tomorrow I need to go shopping, because my fridge was low on food and such. I fall asleep soon after.

***

The next day I wake up and get ready to go to the store. I make myself eggs with what was left in the fridge and put on my flats. Within minutes, I'm out the door and walking to the market. It was about half a mile away. I try not to buy too much at a time, and I don't want to spend my money on a cab.

I get there and buy my stuff, and I'm walking home when I hear loud screams. I turn around and see three men running down the street as probably twenty girls are screaming and chasing after them. I rolled my eyes. That band is in town, what's it called? The Beatles?

I turn back around to walk home and mutter to myself "Stupid girls."

Suddenly, a voice from behind me agrees "They are, aren't they?"

I turn around and see a man wearing sunglasses and a hat behind me. "Who are you?" I ask the strange man.

"My name's John," he says, offering a hand. I take it. "Alice," I tell him.

"So Alice," he begins to say. "What's your opinion on The Beatles?"

So that is their name! "Well," I begin. "I haven't really had time to listen to them much. I'm either working or at home sleeping. Quite frankly though, they're annoying. They came to New York, and girls won't shut up about them, and, well, you see what just happened."

He gives me a strange look and eventually nodded. "I guess so," he agreed. "So you wouldn't freak out if you saw one?"

I laughed. "I wouldn't even know he was a Beatle! How could I freak out?"

He smiled again. "Do you want me to get a cab? I'm sure you wouldn't like to carry all of those home."

"I'm fine, thank you." I start to walk home when he walked beside me and took one of my handfuls of groceries. "What the hell?" I yelled at him.

"Since ye' won't let me call a cab, I'll help you out!" He replied with a smile. It was just now I realized he had a strong accent, and I don't see how I didn't realize it before. I gave him a strange look like the one he gave me earlier and let him help out. Once we got to my apartment, I opened it up and took his hand full of groceries. "What's that for?" he asked.

"Thanks for helping out," I told him. I gave him a smile and shut the door. No sooner did I put my stuff on the counter than was he knocking accessibly on my door. I went over and opened it. "What do you want?" I asked him.

"Can I come in?" He asked.

"I barely know you! You could be a serial killer for all I know!"

"Ah, but you see, I'm not."

"But still I-"

I didn't get to finish my sentence when I heard a bunch of girls screaming and running up the stairs saying "We found John!" He looked at me with desperate eyes and I realized: This guy is a Beatle.

As soon as I saw the girls round the corner, I pulled John in and slammed my door shut, locking it. I heard the girl's screams still and heard pounding on my door. "My god!" I yelled and I turned to him.

"Yeah, I know, I'm fa-"

"You caused this! Now what am I supposed to do?" I yelled at him, taking him by surprise.

"That's not usually the response I get..." He began and scratched the back of his head. I started putting my groceries away and he asked "Do you have a phone I could use?" I pointed to the phone on the wall and he went over and dialed a number.

"Hey Paul, it's me ... I'm at some girl's house ... No she's not a fan girl, do you think I'm an idiot? ... Well, a ton of girls are camping outside her apartment so I don't think leaving is an option ... Don't come and get me you git, you'll only make it worse ... Paul, I swear if you-"

I went over and took the phone from him. "Hello this is the girl he's with." I told the man on the other line.

"Oh, hello there," he said. "I'm Paul, and you are?"

"Alice."

"Lovely to know. Can I talk to John?"

"Are you planning on getting him?"

"As he pointed out, that probably wouldn't be wise..."

"I don't care! What am I supposed to do?"

There was a silence. "Can he stay the night at your place? The girls will probably leave when it gets late."

"No way! I'd rather throw him out!" John looked offended by my comment.

"Please Alice? It would mean the world to all of us."

I sighed. "Fine. One night, but then you come and get him."

"Yes! Okay, tomorrow morning, we'll come and get him. Thanks Alice!" Paul hung up. I turned to John, who was leaning against the wall and looking at the ceiling.

I sighed and told him "Looks like you're going to have to stay here a night." He smiled.

"That's no burden to me at all, I get to stay the night at the apartment with a beautiful girl."

I rolled my eyes and told him "I have to take a shower."

As I walked to the bathroom, he called after me "What am I supposed to do?"

"Entertain yourself. You'll find something."