22 : Goodnight, My Princess

IRENE'S POV
As soon as I reached my hotel room, I locked the door shut and looked up at the gray ceiling. My heart felt so heavy and the tears just wouldn't stop flowing across my cheeks.

Why must this ever happen to me? What did I do to deserve this? Where did I go wrong?

Perhaps. . . If I cared less it would've been better.

I sat on my bed and ended up laying down. The sheets felt cold against my back. It made me shiver.

I had promised to myself that I was stronger.

That I would cry less. But it was dark and cold. The rain was pouring outside, my heart was weak. The sight of Jimin with yet another one of his girls — just made the pain go worse.

Carefully wiping my cheeks with the back of my hand, I reached for my phone from my pocket and decided to call Ericka.

"Hey. What's up? How's your trip to Jeju?" He said, picking up after the third ring.

I sniffed. "It's. . . Fine I guess." My voice broke at the end.

"Oh dear. That does not sound good." He said. "Tell me. What's wrong? Are you alright?"

I slowly sat up and looked at my bags. "Yeah. I guess. . . I'll be coming home tomorrow." There won't be any need to unpack. Because I knew I wouldn't stay here for long. I didn't want to stay here. There wasn't any reason to stay, either. "I'm hanging up. I'm. . . Really tired. Bye, Ericka."

My eyes were tired. My heart was tired. Everything about me was tired. When is this going to stop?

🌼🌼🌼

During the evening, I decided to take a walk around the hotel. I'm leaving this place tomorrow. . . Might as well make the most of it.

Even though. . . It wasn't reason I was here in the first place.

I descended the elevator, dressed in my jeans, sneakers and a new black shirt. The grand lobby was just as grand as it was this morning. There were people walking here and there, laughing, enjoying each other's companies.

Some of the workers smiled at me, and I tried to smile back, hoping my puffy eyes weren't that visible under the warm white light. I sat on the edge of the marble fountain and began to wonder what I would do if I would run into Jimin.

What would I do? Would I say hi? Would I. . . Not say anything? Or I should probably just avoid him.

I must get out of here. It still hurts.

Getting out of the hotel and into the cold night breeze from the ocean, I began to walk across one of the restaurants. The ground was paved with gray stone, and the place was really nice and filled with plants although I wasn't so sure what food they were serving. At one corner, a tanned solo guitarist dressed in a white button-down shirt and dark jeans played a soft tune, his calming voice matching the cool and cozy ambience.

I sat at one of the tables and decided I would at least eat and try the food here. After ordering a serving of beef ravioli, the kind waitress closed the menu and proceeded to the counter. I brushed my hair with my fingers, sighing to myself. Everything in here seems so peaceful.

I wish my mind was, too.

"Is this seat taken?"

I looked up. Jin stood there, looking down at me, his expression very unreadable. I shook my head and looked away. I wasn't really in the mood for another one of his insults.

Apparently, it seemed like he was, too.

He then quietly sat across me. "Nice place, right?" He remarked after a few moments of silence.

"Yep."

More silence.

"How are you holding up?" He mused. "Were you able to meet with. . . Your friend?"

"Yes. I'm. . . Great. Actually. Thanks."

When he didn't respond, I looked up and he was already staring at me. So intently that I began to waver my eyes consciously. "What?" What is he staring at?

He blinked and leaned back on his chair. "Nothing," Jin raised his hand and signalled for one of the waitress. "I'll have what she's having,"

The waitress simply nodded and left.

"Listen. . ." I began and looked down on my knotted hands. "If it's not too much to ask, can you be with me. . . Tonight?"

"What?"

I sighed. How stupid of me! "You know what— Ah! Forget it. Why did I even ask. . . "

"Sure." He interrupted, a faint smile playing on his lips. "I can come with you. After all, it's really difficult to be in a foreign place all alone."

I blushed. "T-thanks."

As we ate our ravioli, the atmosphere began to change from a drowsy and gloomy tone to a brighter one. The food smelled so amazing. Darn! I totally not regret coming here.

We found ourselves laughing at total nonsense stuff, and tonight I learned that Jin had a sort of unsettling addiction to Shrek.

"But why would you laugh?" He said, incredulously. "Shrek is like, one of the best things that has happened to this world!"

"Who in the name of bullocks watches Shrek more than five times?" I snorted, waving my fork in the air. "Five times, Jin!"

"I got so addicted to Shrek, that as a kid I dreamed of turning into Donkey." He said.

"Why? So you'd be best friends with Shrek?" I casually chewed on my food.

"No. So I could fuck a dragon."

I spat on my food, bits of beef splattering across the table. Gosh! How embarrassing! Some people even turned to look at us, including the lone guitarist at one corner. I bowed my head, "You idiot!" I hissed, and Jin only laughed heartily.

"Am I really?" He grinned.

🌼🌼🌼

"Here we are." Jin quietly announced as we stood outside my hotel room. I gulped, not sure what I had to say. "Uh. . ." I stuttered. "Thank you. For tonight."

Jin smirked, his eyes a soft shade of brown. "Likewise. I had a great time."

Clearing my throat, I began to fish for the room key inside my bag. But for some apparent reason, my hands kept shaking and the more Jin was standing there, I began to become nervous. The hallway was dim, and we were the only ones in here. It got me so. . . Jumpy. What is happening to me?

"Tsk. What a klutz." Jin chuckled and snatched the key from my hand, swiftly putting it into the doorknob and unlocking it.

At this gesture, Jin's face was really close to mine. My heart pounded so loud, I got so worried that he might hear it. With a swift move, he planted a soft kiss on my cheek.

Dear heavens. "A goodnight kiss," He declared, his voice calm and low.

I tried searching for my voice but unfortunately nothing came out.

So instead, I mouthed an awkward "goodnight" and crept into my room, closing it behind me, my heart beating like it would pop out of my chest any minute.

Oh holy ghost, what has gotten into me? I should really just sleep.