14. Beyond Gola Mosca

Start from the beginning

Yucca's smile and eyes softened. The girl's current expression reminded him of Okuda Manami, one of his former students.

Without him noticing what he was doing, Yucca started to, gently pat her head. The same way he had once patted Okuda's head when she was trying to kill him with chemicals.

Chrome's eyes widened, she froze for a second before hurriedly taking a step back, a hand reaching for the spot Yucca had touched the second before. Yucca too froze when he realized his actions, his expression a mix of embarrassment, hurt and nostalgia. Chrome remained on her spot, staring at him confused. Confused because of his actions and confused because of the face he was making.

It didn't last long though, in a blink, Yucca's expression of sorrow turned into his usual fake one. "I'm sorry about that," he apologized, his tone bashful. "You reminded me of someone I met a long time ago. I patted your head on reflex," he tried to justify, his left hand passing through his raven locks.

"Ah," Chrome blinked a few times, getting out of her reverie at the sound of the male's voice, "I-it doesn't matter, d-don't worry," she stuttered, her voice soft.

Yucca smiled "These flowers are a congratulatory gift, and also a get well soon gift," he explained changing the subject. "I hope you won't throw them away," he asked with a small smile.

Chrome found herself nodding in confirmation, making Yucca's smile soften and become more genuine once more.

"Then I'll see you tonight, probably," Yucca said as he began to take his leave. "Have a nice evening."

Chrome remained on her spot, her eyes never leaving Yucca's figure. The souvenir of his previous relaxed expression deeply imprinted in her mind. Chrome wondered who this person she reminded him of was. Were they close? A past girlfriend? Sister? Colleague? ...Pet? Millions of possibility made their way to her mind, none of them entirely answering her question.

Why was his hand so warm when he patted her? Why were his eyes so full of love when he gazed at her? Why did it seem like he would protect and raise her at best as he could?

Why did she found herself wondering how it would have been had the two of them never been enemy? If they had met under different circumstances, would he have looked at her like this too?

Pensive, Chrome went her, own way.

::

That was close Yucca thought as he silently walked along Namimori's street. He didn't imagine the memory of his past pupils' would overlap with people he knew, an enemy nonetheless.

Yucca mentally shook his head. No use dwelling over it, tonight was his fight meaning they would go away soon. He should take his time to do some souvenir shopping in the shopping district while he still had time.

Walking down the crowded streets, Yucca soon came upon a particular clothing shop. Behind the window display was a bunch of tacky shirts. All of them were a strange assortment of color with lame puns, catchphrases, and images.