Chapter Seventeen: Taphophobia - Fear of Being Buried Alive

Please work, not confident about it working anymore. >.<

***

Chapter Seventeen: Taphophobia - Fear of Being Buried Alive

♪ Adam's POV ♥

I was having a dream, I could tell because I was at the camp and I could see. I was at my kingdom once again, the summer before I turned eighteen. Before my eyes I could see laughing teenagers in the cafeteria, eating the disgusting food but enjoying the little cliques. But soon it faded and the walls were less colorful and it was raining outside.

The lightning strikes outside the building and soon it got cold. It was so cold. And I realized it when I looked to the ground and then looked back up to see myself alone in the dull cafeteria. Then the lights went out at the next flash of lightning and whispers flooded the room.

"You are hopeless." 

"Why did we even try?" 

"Get up and pay attention, Adam." 

"He's nothing!" 

"You. Are. Nothing."

The lights went on but I was in a office. I looked up and saw a man, "Hello, General."

"Adam Jones, correct?"

"Yes, sir."

"I heard about you. I heard you bring lots of trouble."

"Not on purpose," I lied and stared at him, trying to size him up. He was a big man, like a college football player big. His jaw was wide with a scar under his chin and he had the beginnings of a beer gut but it was painfully true he was once very good-looking and it probably still attractive to elder ladies.

"I heard you gave food poisoning to one of our Guards, is that a rumor or true?" he looked me evenly in the eye.

"It's true he has food poisoning but it has yet to be proven I am the cause of it, sir," I replied and tried not to cower when he stood tall.

He chuckled, "Adam, I know you did it. I saw it in the cameras."

I felt my whole body freeze and stiffen, "We have cameras?"

"I got them put up during the winter. My sister was always a weak woman, one who saw the right way but did nothing about it. So listen here, faggot, this is the way of my camp; you mess with the people who trying to put you on the right way is your way of saying you are going the wrong way," he walked around his desk and went to his door. I heard him slowly close it and put the lock on, "Doctors say you are born this way, I say this generation is luring you out and the devil is taking advantage of your impureness." He went to the windows and put the curtains down so only the light hanging from the ceiling was the only source of light.

"Sometimes, people try to talk it out of you," the sound of him taking his belt off made my eyes widen, "but that isn't it. We have to bring you to the light. By beating it out of you."

In my memories, the sound of a belt coming down on skin was the scariest thing I've ever felt. It echoed through my childhood, through my home, all the way to the future.

It reminded me of my stepfather bringing it down on me when I broke a glass and forced me to kneel on the shards. It reminded me the time I was found in the closet with Evan and I had received my punishment for trying to lure him onto "my side". It reminded me of the General. The sound never made me fear the belt or the person holding it, it made me fear of the memories it would cause me to relive.