Chapter 10

How I managed to get through that practice was a mystery. I don't recall anything that happened, it was all a haze. The only thing I knew with certainty was that the good impression I gave coach Coto in the meeting must have been destroyed.

It was lunch time and I was in my room alone. I had no appetite and no desire to be around other people. My tears had dried up in my cheeks and I had reached that numb state I so wanted to achieve. It didn't hurt, because there was a hole there. I don't feel anything, I said to myself and just like that I started crying again.

"Olivia?" I heard Marina's voice. As much as I wanted to be alone I couldn't not open. This was her room too.

I unlocked the door and run towards my bed. I got below the covers before she opened.

"What happened to you?" She asked oblivious about my situation. "You weren't hungry? Alex said you didn't feel good before."

"I'm fine." I said. "I just want to sleep."

"Oh, okay. I am going to the pool with the guys. If you want to you can join us when you wake up."

~

Marina came and went a couple of times during the day. She asked me what was wrong and I told her I didn't want to talk about. She didn't pressure me any further.

Neymar knocked on the door a couple of times asking to come in but I didn't say anything. I didn't want to see him, ever again. The thought of seeing him in practice tomorrow made me feel sick.

"Livvie?" I heard. It was David. I thought about not answering for a second but I realized he was the only one I wanted to talk to, mainly because he knew everything that had happened whereas I would have to explain to Marina how stupid I was. I looked at my swollen face in the mirror. I was a mess. I opened up.

"Hey." I said. He gave me a small smile and hugged me.

"Are you mad at me?" he asked me coming inside. We both sat on my bed.

"No." I said. I really wasn't mad at him, nor Thiago. They had urged him to tell me the truth. But he didn't. "But everything makes sense now." I said.

He nodded.

"I am the stupidest person in the world." I declared looking at my hands.

"You aren't."

"No one else would have fallen for that. What is wrong with him? What is wrong with me?" I sighed. "Why would he play such a prank?"

"He didn't mean to let things get so out of hand. He wanted to tell you but he didn't know how."

"Don't make excuses for him. He could have told me, any one of the times we talked, or went out. He invented a name, a fake job, a fake person!"

"To be fair, his family calls him Juninho since he was little. His real name is Neymar Jr." he told me.

I glared at him.

I heard a knock on the door and hoped it wasn't him. Marina entered.

"Hey." She said. She was holding a tray of food. "I just brought this for you. I'm gonna go." She said, seeing David. He nodded.

"Thanks for the food." I told her as she set the tray on the desk.

"Eat something, please." She said and closed the door behind her.

David picked up the tray and brought it to me. "I'm not hungry." I said.

He didn't push it. "How about a walk?" he proposed.

I shook my head. I didn't want to bump into Neymar. "He isn't here." He said as if he read my thoughts.

"Okay." I said. I changed clothes in the bathroom and put my hat and sunglasses on in an attempt to conceal my red and swollen face.